is this advisable?

Questions about programming languages and debugging
truly9ja

is this advisable?

Post by truly9ja »

Hi all.
I'm new here and this is my first post.
I'm new to programming but not with computers. I would like to start doing exploit as soon and possible. I have been learning C++ but with a very low pace, that is the reason why i joined this site, so that you guys can help me fasten things up in any way. My question is: can i start learning socket programming even when i have not gone far with C++. Is the advisable and possible. Your contribution will be very much appreciated. Please anything to make me get more focused. Thanks

f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

No. Go read the basics of the language before you go making programs, especially ones with sockets. If you want to learn how to program there is going to be lots of reading so you better get used to it.

truly9ja

Post by truly9ja »

Thanks for the input.

I think i know some basics. I understand variables, arrays, data types, looping, conditional statement and functions. Is this what you mean by the basics?. Hope to hear from you soon

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Do you have a book? If so which one? Did you read the entire thing? Do you understand classes and inheritance? Pointers?

truly9ja

Post by truly9ja »

Yes. C++ Primer Plus 5th Edition. I intend to read it all, but i don't know if that is the best way, though the book is quite lengthy (that make it a bit discouraging for me). No i have not gotten to classes and inheritance yet. I have brushed pointers a bit, but not done anything with yet. Thanks man for the input so far. I really appreciate

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Well if you don't like reading right now (probably because you are not yet that interested) you can try some video tuts. I suggest the ones from VTC. They have some of the best tuts. One more thing. Start coding. Get into some sort of exercise. Solve problems. I doubt you will be able to do socket programming with out a deep enough knowledge but there are still plenty of programs you can create that will get you hooked. Once you are into it, trust me you will find some sort of problem that will compel you to read not only that book but others as well.

Best of Luck.

DrV

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

hm. It is true that you need to understand and grasp all the language has to offer before you can go off programming great applications. Which is why I recommend you read the entire book firstly. You need to get a handle on what the language has to offer to you, C++ has alot to offer, I would know from personal experience.

I wouldn't jump into sockets for a while, a normal start would be to actually jump into WinAPI (Windows Application Programming Interface). The reasoning of this is because you'll better understand how the operating system handles Messages and controls over and how to actually call such functions. Once you get the grip of WinAPI, applying that to sockets isn't hard. Its just the concept you need to get through. WinAPI would probably cover most of the Reverse Engineering you would also do if you want to be a shellcoder and write exploits. Because most programmers out there refer to WinAPI rather then external libraries because of cost efficiency, most figure why remake a function call if it already exists by default in the operating system.

A great tutorial on WinAPI and GUI making is Forger's tutorial:

http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

good luck
Last edited by ebrizzlez on 21 Aug 2009, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Everyone will tell you the same thing, read the basics of the language and standard library, then move to advanced specific topics (like sockets, although they can be confusing)

EDIT: Also if you get stuck on something, ##c++ on irc.freenode.net helped me a lot when I was learning, there is always a lot of people on answering questions.

truly9ja

Post by truly9ja »

Thanks all