Recommendations for css book, anyone?

Questions about programming languages and debugging
LaBlueGirl
Suckopithicus chickasaurus

Recommendations for css book, anyone?

Post by LaBlueGirl »

Like I said in Gen Discussion, I've started css.
Got the basics from w3 down, np.

I just know there is more I can do with css than what is on there, and short of Googling things I *think* would work all day long, I've decided to buy a book on it.
Just easier to have everything in some kind of list instead of me searching for it on the 'net.

So my question:
Does anyone have any book recomendations on this subject?
I already know how to "do it", and how it works. I mainly need a list of as many declarations as possible and a description of what they do.

Thanks in advance
LaBlue "All my declarations in one place" Girl
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I like the O´Reilly pocket references:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/csspr2/index.html
I use the CSS-, iptables-, Linux-, Perl- and XML-ones...cheap and good.. :wink:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Whoa, are you serious? LBG, 99% of all css functions are on w3schools.com. I haven't used any other website or book other than that website, and i'm an awesome css coder, as many have told me. Save your money, just ask someone here if you need help with something specific in css.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

LaBlueGirl

Post by LaBlueGirl »

gogeta70 wrote:Whoa, are you serious? LBG, 99% of all css functions are on w3schools.com. I haven't used any other website or book other than that website, and i'm an awesome css coder, as many have told me. Save your money, just ask someone here if you need help with something specific in css.
I've already gone through all the tuts for css, advanced included.
What I wanted was something like this:
div.dividedLinks div div {
background-image: url(http://www.example.com/images/divider.gif);
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-position:top center;
padding-top: 22px;
}

Now, the basics of it is in the w3 schools. But I really don't know how much I can do with css aside from what I learned at w3. So I would have to think of what I wanted to do, start searching the 'net for how it could apply to css, either logically think the code through and try it out until it works or ask all ya'll for help.
Neither of which I would like to do.

If I have it (a more comprehensive list) of what css is capable of (other than what is on w3 or it would go deeper than what is on w3) then I could just refer to the book rather than spend my time searching, expiramenting, trial and error not to mention I don't trust everything I find online to be accurate or correct:)

I will *definately* take b_b's advice as well as yours, Gogeta.

Ok, gotta run

LBG
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

Bad news, there is no Bible of CSS and W3C schools are quite sumere tutorials to get someone on the trail. "W3Cschools" is not W3C, far from it even.

Like these pages :
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/learning
All tutorials.

On the other hand, read the *how* the basics work on W3C schools and enhance your own CSS usage by reading this *how* and *why* and *when* to use CSS(2).

What you know now is what a webdeloper should know as daily stuff in CSS. But there is more, the "@import" rule, the "Aural CSS", and media types, the "! important" rule, the hierarchy and all that..wew..

You find that, always at the same address :
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/

For the rest : what Bad_Brain said : the O'Reilly pocket refferences and books are very, *very* good.

But.. quite expensive..and..your birthday is .. far ;-)

--
FrankB