Correct way to write a character string in C?

Questions about programming languages and debugging
maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Correct way to write a character string in C?

Post by maboroshi »

Whats the correct way to write a character string in C?

in every book I have read they say:

Code: Select all

char variable[] = "My Character String";
but in Shellcoders handbook, they say its possible to create a buffer overflow with this. Or is that just if I set a limit to char as in

char[5] five = "01234"
then inputting more than five characters. Thoughts, advice. I would really like to see a tutorial on writing secure code in C if any takers out there :-)

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Re: Correct way to write a character string in C?

Post by Gogeta70 »

char x[] = "This is a string";
char y[] = {This is also a string"};
char z[5] = "12345";

All of these are valid, none of them should cause an overflow.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

Overflows are caused by how you use strings. Basically it happens when you go beyond the space you've allocated and start writing in "random" memory locations. It can happen if you assume something will fit in an array and don't check if you go past the end of it. You can easily achieve this with the gets function (gcc even issues a warning when you use it), since it doesn't take any parameters that tells it how long the string is.

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
	char* test = "0123456789";
	// test now contains a proper null-terminated string
	puts(test);

char buffer[7];
	puts("Enter a 7-letter word");
	gets(buffer);
	puts(buffer);

char buffer2[8];
	puts("Now enter a 8-letter word and see what happens :)");
	gets(buffer2);
	puts(buffer2);
}
As I was writing code to show an overflow this situation arose. I've reached the conclusion that the first input works for 7-letter strings because the allocated space for the 7-byte buffer is rounded up to be divisible by the size of int (which is 4 on 32-bit systems and 8 on 64-bit systems). So char buffer[7] and char buffer[8] is actually equal, with gcc on linux at least. It fails when putting a 8-letter word in buffer2 because the null-terminator will overwrite whatever comes next on the stack. If that's the return address for the function you can make it execute non-intended code. :P

Polynomial
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Polynomial »

The declaration isn't what causes a buffer overflow, it's what you do with it. You're probably best off using char* regardless.

If you're trying to avoid BoF, use length limited versions of string copy functions (e.g. strncpy instead of strcpy) and use the std::string class where possible.