Suck-o Version 2.0

Announcements and for questions/problems..
ayu
Staff
Staff

Suck-o Version 2.0

Post by ayu »

Opening date: 2009/12/24

We thought it would be a good idea to let the cat out of the bag already, thus we are now proudly presenting Suck-o V2.0.

Suck-o V2.0 is an upgrade of the old site, featuring a new and Improved CMS as well as a new forum engine. The design and colours are very much the same to keep the traditional suck-o look. We circled around on a lot of different types of CMS, although the forum was decided pretty quickly that it would be PHPBB3. After a long discussion on what CMS to use, we decided to divide up in to teams and try some different ones, although it came down to Joomla because of the limited time of the suck-o staff, as well as the many features available for Joomla.

When the new site opens, the old one will be closed and all of the users accounts and material such as forum posts/threads, PMs and such, will still be there, just as you left them when you logged out the day before.

The new Suck-o V2.0 will have the following exciting features:

Features
  • *PHPBB3 and all of its features (Forum) (Private messaging included here)
    *Joomla and all of its features (CMS)
    *A traditional Suck-o design
    *Stronger and more comfortable security(no more issues with posting code)
    *Download section for registered members
    *News section
    *Our holy "rules" page
    *Photo gallery
    *All old content will be available on the new site
    *Easier administration for the staff
    *Wargames
    *New affiliates section
    *"Who's on IRC" module
    *Server clock
    *A status page separate from the rest of the site (this can be useful when you can't reach the site and need somewhere to check the status of the site)
    *An emergency IRC server for "emergencies"
    *Suck-o's own Youtube channel with tutorials and interesting material created by both members and staff.
    *Staff blogs, where the members of the staff can share their thoughts on specific topics, or just discuss that new hamburger down at Mc'Donalds (I hate Mc'Donalds btw)
    *A Suck-o Wiki, where all the rock solid information will be easily available for both our users, and new users who use Google to find new information sources.
And much more.... (maybe)

Some features for the future that might not make it to the release are:

Future features
  • *A new JAVA IRC client, built specially for suck-o
    *Community module with advanced profile settings
(Both lists might be updated)

Now, we would like to ask you users what kind of features you would like to see in Suck-o Version 2.0, so let's hear it!
Last edited by ayu on 11 Nov 2009, 09:35, edited 3 times in total.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

We want screenshots :P

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Here's a list of extensions:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

search around and tell us what you would like to have on the Suck-O v2 ;)

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

wtf !? That's not an upgrade ! It's a simple update :roll:

Its nice to switch to Joomla and bridge it to PHPBB3 and having more stronger security but the rest is already here.

We already have the "Server Clock","Who's On IRC","News Section" and the "Affiliate System".Plus,the traditional suck-o design will be kept.So its not even close to be a V2.0 :-k....[-X

I talked with DNR on IRC the other night,and we were on the same page that suck-o's "Holy Rules" are a bit tight and that's because the laws are very strict in germany and any illegal stuff could cause severe problems.And it doesn't hurt to tell or to ask,if suck-o could make a little twist on its policy,now I'm not talking about making suck-o a hangout for blackhats but it would be better the rules are a bit loose so if a member wants to ask about breaking a system or a injecting a php code into the webserver,doesn't need to write the common line and it's that he wants no harm to the site and all his questions are for educational purposes or a seek for knowledge etc.So my point here is the a little change in suck-o and show the "dark side" of the virtual world.

So,me DNR agreed on this concept and I just want to put these ideas or just "plant a little seed ^^) and as i writing i noticed on IRC that Suck-o V2.0 opening date is 2009/12/24 so I think there's room for negotiations : )

-A change in the location of the servers to Netherlands,Russia,China (But i think china would be the best option since netherlands would in the near future be against piracy and as for russia... no one can trust these mofos ;P).

-A darker skin for suck-o.

-A more focus on the downloads,and more txt tuts written by suck-o members and since we have our own ASCII logo it would be a trademark :wink: .And suck-o members posting their programs and the best one would be released on progenic.

-VIP section not to share trojans or msn crackers like other sites do.And the VIP can't be purchased but earned.So members who deserve to be in the VIP should be there.And VIP doesn't mean that each member can edit his own title and make it "Respected Member" but, 0 days could be shared,Private code that public members can't see,or even private topics related to suck-o security,future plans and so on.

-Suck-o isn't a small community anymore,so in my opinion,affiliating with "smaller" sites or even skiddie sites doesn't make the site better or spread its word on the internet.

-As for the photo album,I think a thread is more that enough for that.WTF !? We're not facebook !And as DNR Said "We're not like chinese people who deface websites and put their photos on the index ;P".

-As for the news section,we can let "Wire" and "SoftPedia" do their jobs.

-As for the forums,*Now I may probably get banned for this* but how about converting to vBulletin.We can get a "clean" and decent nulled version until we can get money and buy a license.Now i know Opensource is fucking amazing and make you feel like a community of programmers who share code all over the globe...but vBulletin simply pwn PHPBB!It has more features,more hacks or add-ons,better looking skins and styles and better forum management.

Well that's a just a "little seed" of the ideas...didn't want to put them all and at the end get banned lol.

So the idea or concept behind this is not making suck-o a place for blackhats to share botnets and attack other websites but to change the whitehat spirit into a bit of a greyhat and eventually breaking the barriers and pushing the website to a new level. :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

leetnigga: No screenshots will be supplied at this moment

3XTORTION:

*sigh* ok, here we go ...

Call it what you want, we call it an upgrade since we are changing the software that will be used. The old features were included since they are features, I never said they were all new ones.

Now, about the rule page. We are rather "loose" already, we let a lot of members break a lot of rather serious rules before we actually ban them. The rule page is mostly there so that we have something to refer to if someone decides to act like a smartass and say shit like "I didn't see that in the rules, so I'm not doing anything wrong!".

We do allow questions about malicious methods, we do not, however, allow the suggestion of using such methods on live targets. Which we from experience can see on a lot of members when they ask. It's all about asking the right question, if someone asks "I want to use this method to hack this site" then it is clear that this persons purpose is pure evil, while if someone asks "This method seems interesting, how does it work?" then the persons "real" purpose is unknown to us, but at least we can't be blamed for anything and for us it looks like he/she purely wants to learn about it.

There is no illegal activity on the suck-o servers, thus there is no need to change the location of the site. If you still think that it's a good idea then you can suggest it to bad_brain.

Personally I hate the idea of a dark skin for suck-o, imo it should be the traditional skin and that one only. So if the other staff decides that this will be done, then I will have nothing to do with it.

Indeed more focus would be needed for the dowload section, although we add content when we have the time. It's all about time ^^
Most of us don't have much time to spare on writing tuts and adding a bunch of content to suck-o, but we are doing the best we can. Also, why should we release suck-o content to other sites like progenic? It might as well stay here.

We have a VIP section already, although more work needs to be done on it ;)

Spreading the word about Suck-o has been tried before, but it was decided it was a bad idea since a lot of skiddies will start flooding the site more then they already do.

Removing the news section would put Ph0byx out of a job :( no but ... I can agree on that to some extent, but personally I get a lot of news from suck-o.

About the photo gallery, no one said what the content will be, so don't assume anything.

The forums will not be changed to a nulled version of PHPBB. It should be rather obvious why. What awesome features does VBulletin have that PHPBB3 doesn't have?

I hope this answers your questions...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Yes, 3X and I had this convo in IRC.

It started because I had this feeling and I was trying to gauge reaction about the idea.
The idea being another webhost with spoofed whois and in a country with no rules.
The reason again being a feeling or even some complaints that we don't venture our members in the full realm of hacking. I am starting to worry that there are no good white hat hackers, but only great grey hats. I looked at my own history and saw the new hackers were at a disadvantage - I was taught and practised some black hat techniques by others in my time - because there were no laws against at the time.

Remember - hackers did not change - the rules did.

So an idea was presented about a dark server hosted in .cn like the rest of the black hatters. It would be a simple BBS, no IRC, no graphics, just a upload/download and a simple board. Members would not be allowed to link from the suck-o server and nicks would have to be anonymous.
This would simply hold the tools we rather not discuss in a public forum, and perhaps more complete tutorials on black hat hacking.

I never said I was a role model for white hats :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

about "the darker side":
it's the same stuff you learn as whitehat, how you use it is a matter of personal ethics. but if you mean stuff like warez, defacements, etc: we leave that to the skiddie sites, when you don't like to see that such sites affiliate with suck-o then it would be a little unlogic to make suck-o one of those sites itself.. :wink:

and yes, it IS an upgrade. the way suck-o is now is already pretty the maximum that can be done, adding new features is either a real pain in the rear or simply impossible, with the new site we have a lot more options again.
but after all it'll be still suck-o, so it'll be not a whole new site...and that's why drastic design changes wouldn't be good. I know the colors are not everyone's flavor, but hey, after 5 years it became some kind of trademark.

about the photoalbum:
nobody is forced to place his pics there, but it will be nice to have a place for that...like for a hardware gallery where people can show off with their systems.. :) people asked for such a feature, to set it up for the old site would be very hard (as mentioned above).

about the news section:
of course, there are other sites specialized on news, but our own news section allows us to filter the news for our needs and interests, imo it's a very important feature.

and no way to use hosting in another country, what could I do if the provider rips me off? nothing. I am satisfied with the provider I have, never change a running system. I know people that thought it's a smart move to switch to offshore hosting providers, it always ended with the provider changing the deal (more expensive of course), as customer you can do nothing then....because with such providers you are always blackmailable, especially because I would have to transfer the domain to them too.

but well, the development is in an early stage, so don't be too specific yet with suggestions...in the end we can't please everybody anyway... :wink:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

bad_brain wrote:about "the darker side":
it's the same stuff you learn as whitehat, how you use it is a matter of personal ethics. but if you mean stuff like warez, defacements, etc: we leave that to the skiddie sites, when you don't like to see that such sites affiliate with suck-o then it would be a little unlogic to make suck-o one of those sites itself.. :wink:
I Agree with this 100%. Soon enough you have to wean the baby off the nipple. I think that suck-o offers a great, safe place to gain knowledge. Not to download tools only to use them while bragging to a friend that you hacked something. Some tools in the download section are great don't get me wrong ,port scanners wireless packet sniffers etc. They can be used to verify what the hacker is learning. But woms, trojans and the like are just noob shit. If a person want to learn hacking then they must learn the systems. There is no short cuts as most of us know. This is not Hollywood - this is suck-o.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

I think that upgrading the site ( or adding new features ) what ever it is, is good for the site. I personally believe in change because its always for the positive. For those who see change as some thing negative, then its a personal point of view, all studies show that change is always for the better.
now as for the specific changes in the site, i agree with many posters, the ideas are cool... Technically speaking as for joomla, and PHPBB3 its the decision of the admins, and i don't have any thing to add, but for the future, I think many ppl here are talented and are quit capable to code the site's own CMS, that would be some thing to be proud of :wink:
now as for the picture section, I think its already found on this version the only thing its only for the admins, and not for the whole site. As b_b said, for those who want to post their photos they can, and for those who dont want to its up to them ;)
the last thing on my mind the color of the boards, better say site skin.. Personally I think that color plays a major role in participation and adding a spirit to the site. We as a community don't support black hat, I personally don't, but the spirit of hacking is well established on the darker side, thus darker skin....
All in all, good luck for u guys in any thing you do :D
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I would just like to remind you on this link:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

choose your favorites ;)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Ph0
I couldn't find modules with an exact fit.

For admin I want the same old stuff we have now - being able to view IP, being able to delete, edit all posts, view all post by user.

I would like to have access to the STAFF page to be able to update my staff photo or bio.

For server administration it would be nice to view some stats like server load, actual users on the forum (the one right now is a slow count).

for writing - I use a FTP to upload my pictures for threads - I think pictures, diagrams, illustrations should be easier to incorporate into writing. We have plenty of server space, so maybe we should host more documents and graphics on our server than linking offsite.

Any chance of being able to host code in the forum, rather at code.suck-o.net? I think we can promote more discussion about codes if it was easier to read in the forum format.

Might consider two-theme selection for the background - Dark or Light - seems to be a active discussion on it.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

DNR, the forum is only embedded into the site, so you will not find any plugins on Joomla for it...check the http://www.phpbb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for that... :wink:

and don't worry, staff members will have the same options on the boards as now...even more (ban system really rocks for example).. :D

and yes, I would also prefer when code can be posted directly, so I will make sure it is possible (as long as it isn't affecting the site security, will have to check that).

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

About the PhotoAlbum :

My Bad.I only tought about posting our photos.But posting our setups,systems and working places is really a good idea.

About the skin :

The actual skin is good and a classic trademark suck-o but we can put 2 skins and let the members decide :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

The idea about having two kind of themes can be done, but it requires some work since two themes has to be changed at the same time. Guess we can work something out with JFusion.

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

(with cute kiddie voice) please consider my suggestions from the thread that i started 2weeks ago... please? (with googly eyes)