[Review] Crysis 2 and Homefront

About your favorite games!
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

[Review] Crysis 2 and Homefront

Post by bad_brain »

as most of you know I am a big fan of FPS games, lately 2 pretty promising ones have been released: Crysis 2 and Homefront

----The Story----

In Crysis 2 aliens attack the world...blah blah...nothing really exciting.

In Homefront the story is much more important, after the initial video sequence you kinda can't wait anymore to start killing your enemies. the story plays a few years in the future where (the re-united) Korea invades the USA, it starts with you being arrested by korean soldiers....you end up handcuffed in a bus where you can't do anything but look out of the window while being driven through the destroyed city. you see how people are deported, beaten to death, in one scene a couple is executed by soldiers while their little kid stands besides them and have to watch it....really heavy stuff, but for me a good game needs to involve the player emotionally. at the end of the sequence the bus is rammed off the street and you are freed by the resistance.....while getting away you of course kill a korean soldier, so now you are a part of the resistance.

--- The Gameplay---
Crysis 2 runs more stable, in Homefront there are sometimes lags, but luckily only in the video sequences and not in battles, while Crysis 2 runs absolutely smooth (but I have seen a bug where a helicopter stands like glued into the air without the rotor moving).
the controls are as in every standard FPS, in Crysis 2 you just have a few extra keys for the suit control.

--- The Graphics ---
For most people the most important, for me not that much actually.
The new Cryengine is simply unbeatable at the moment, super slick graphics and extremely detailed textures, and of course loads of blooming:

Honefront is far away from being that perfect, it reminds me a little of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Fear2:

it's clear that Crysis 2 is the absolute winner when it comes to graphics quality, but still I am not really satisfied with it: for me it all looks too slick and beautiful, even dirt looks like it was polished, takes away the atmosphere for me.

--- Conclusion ---
Hard to say which one is the better game because even when both are FPS games they are not the same category. for me Crysis 2 is almost like an arcade game, while Homefront goes more into the RPG direction.
Actually it's good to have both, because Crysis 2 is much fun because of the astonishing graphics performance while Homefront points with the grim story.
both a 7-8/10 for me.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Re: [Review] Crysis 2 and Homefront

Post by Lyecdevf »

I have not yet played homefront but I can say a few things about crysis 2. Also I am going to take a look at the game from a different angle so that another aspects of the game is taken into perspective.

Crysis 2 for all the hype seemed a bit short to me. I say that because I felt like I just warmed up to the game and it was already over.

The whole concept of the game the way I saw it was for the player to learn to use stealth weapons in combination with invisibility in order to sneak up on targets and execute them. However, throughout the game play I just did not feel like there were any specific moments where that would come to prominence. Sure some times I used it to come right in front of the target and shoot at it with my silenced shoot gun but that would deplete that energy for invisibility which did not make any sense to me what so ever. Also you also had ample time to walk around in invisible mode but all the targets were always very close. Most of the time I was just firing every thing I had at the enemies whether they were alien or human. Especially when I was accompanied by other soldiers that invisibility seemed of no use what so ever.

On top of that I was confused about when to use the other option which hardened your suit. I almost never used it. It just seemed useless to me.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, it was at least longer than Crysis 1, right? :lol: imo the best part of the whole series is still the good old original Far Cry. Crysis 2 has surely a lot of cool effects and stuff, but it can not compete with the top dog CoD Black Ops at all. it's a nice game, but nothing you would play twice.

nice to see you around again btw... :)

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I had this conversation with some one about how resource demanding the crysis 1 game is and that I may play it when I build my self a new gaming rig. He linked me to this: http://xkcd.com/606/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Hannibal

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Playing homefront here too - it is predictable AI, so a bit disappointing.

I played out Mafia 2, (did Mafia Blackhand edition on the wii) and Medal of Honor.

I also liked Kane and Lynch 2 Dog Days. Mercenaries 2 sucks.

Some games on the xbox old not avail for 360

Soldier of Fortune

The games are important, lately I have been using them to stay distracted and just blow whole days on the games. They just help keep your mind off things, and its not as bad as watching TV where you do nothing to parcipate.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Broken Angel
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Broken Angel »

DNR sire you mentioned Wii and I also have one so the thing is that I don't the remote controls for it. I mean the motion cencor thingy is there but the proper controller like in a PS or Xbox is not? So how do you play such games on it without it? And if it is where to find it?
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

The Wii is composed of 5 parts -the PSU ( separate box between outlet and Wii console) the harddrive/CD/base unit, the IR sensor bar, and two handheld devices, the 'knunchuck" and wii remote. The knunchuck plugs into the wii remote to offer another joystick and trigger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Remote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wii Zapper is not cool due to how you hold it and its button locations.
Wii controller - PSP/xbox like controller - is not used?

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

DNR wrote:I played out Mafia 2, (did Mafia Blackhand edition on the wii) and Medal of Honor.
I really felt getting addicted to Mafia 2 more so than any other game out there. It was so easy to drift away driving around in those 50's, 60's,...cars going around robing stores. I did not even play the game the way it was meant to be played. For a while I was just there in chapter two doing my own little thing.
DNR wrote:The games are important, lately I have been using them to stay distracted and just blow whole days on the games. They just help keep your mind off things, and its not as bad as watching TV where you do nothing to parcipate.
There is nothing on TV. The movies that come out now days just keep my evenings entertaining so when ever I need a bigger jolt of fun I need games and lots of them.
- Hannibal

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

The Godfather Blackhand edition was the best - it was GTA style - where you could get bored and just rob people and trucks all day long.

I like games that you can explore around, it expands the boundries of the game. Some times I don't play games like they were meant too either - if I am feeling mean and pumped up - I will go on rampages - expending ammo like a baby puts out shit. dropping clips, reloading, and grenades for every motherfucker that pops up. Some days you feel a bit more sophisicated, you creep silently, pass some guards, set bombs, snipe from long way off, and untouchable.

I am more impressed by AI, it is nice to find games that take a while to figure out the AI, some games suck - because you can figure out the AI in just a few minutes and the rest of the game is too predictable. Computer AI needs cues, personalities left by coders, and even then - the size of the file - the AI can only have so many options.
Thats where the real mental thinking comes into game play, using foresight, planning, tactics, and thinking fast - all the things you don't use while vegging in front of the TV.

I can see why the mil uses games to train soldiers. You play Medal of Honor, CoD, Brother in Arms all day, all week - it will wire your brain to be combative. Comabt is about quickly identifying your target and putting out fatal hits. It is about tactics used to approach a door, a corner, or using team mates - these apply in real world combat. The more you think about it, the more it becomes you.

I hate TV - it has become very manipulative and uses FUD to incite people to buy or eat shit. It is just candy - and like garbage, it should be used moderatel. Now, movies - thats different - directors and writers have a bit of freedom to put together a movie, and some movies are thought provoking and useful.

DNR
-