[review] F.E.A.R. 3

About your favorite games!
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

[review] F.E.A.R. 3

Post by bad_brain »

YAY! it's finally there, the long awaited (at least from me) 3rd part of the awesome F.E.A.R. series! in my opinion F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 2 are the undefeated champions of the horror FPS genre, so I had high hopes of the 3rd part. was F.E.A.R. 3 able to answer my expectations? let's see:

during the initial setup there was a surprise that caused a "wtf?!" moment, there is NO 1280x1024 screen resolution available! what the hell the developer thought?
here is a list of the available resolutions for my 19 inch screen:
- 640x480
- 720x480
- 800x600
- 848x480
- 1024x760
- 1152x648
- 1152x864
- 1280x720
- 1280x960
1152x864 looks good enough for a decent game experience for me...nonetheless it's still ridiculous.

The Story
I will not waste too much time about the story because to fully understand it you need to know the first 2 F.E.A.R. games too. for the ones that played the first 2 parts already it will be a little surprise, because you are playing as the "Point Man" (known from part 1) and your buddy is...and now it comes: Paxton Fettel. 8O

The Gameplay
F.E.A.R. 3 has some new features I really like, for example an improved "take cover" functionality (by pressing Q you take cover and when pressing W you can peek and shoot), but what I like the most is the point system: for almost every activity you can get points, like for headshots, time spent in slow motion mode, items picked up, amount of frags without getting hurt (yes, it even announces the good old "Godlike!"), etc. additionally there are special "glowing" corpses to find that can be "absorbed" and so give extra points. the gathered points lead to level-ups which grant extras like a "jump kick", additional slow motion mode time or faster healing.
besides that not much has changed, standard FPS controls.

First Impression
I have to admit I was a little disappointed at the beginning because it all looked a little unmotivated to me, some rare shock effects that didn't really shocked me, and I expected the scenario to be a little more horror-like. but then, from the the 3rd level on the old magic was back: scary, shocking, spooky soundtrack...that's how I like it, and that's what I loved it the other parts already!

instead of screenshots I've captured 2 videos of good old b_b fraggin' around, have fun:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

as you can see the graphics are not THAT awesome, CoD is still king, but it's still good enough to create a scary atmosphere you can dive into....I especially love the grain effect that appears from time to time.

Conclusion
after some troubles and annoyances at the start and the hope for a screen resolution patch F.E.A.R. 3 is a great game, to give a final and complete conclusion is not possible at the moment for me because I haven't played the game through yet, but if you like some scary fragging action it's definitely a must have! btw, the first 2 parts are also still more than worth to be played, even if the graphics in the initial F.E.A.R. are far away from being up to date (but hey, the "insane asylum" levels will still scare the crap out of you!).
8.5/10

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: [review] F.E.A.R. 3

Post by ph0bYx »

Nice review BB! :D

I played FEAR 1 few years ago. Sadly I missed out a great deal of scary scenes there lol. Whenever I got the 'origin signal' (or whatever it was called the signal when Alma is around) I always turn in the wrong direction :D

And thanks for the videos, always much better to see the gameplay than screenshots from it. Also you reminded my of a bad habit that I used to do on CounterStrike, reloading too quickly :D (saw it a couple of times in the first video). It's quite dangerous in CS, not sure about FEAR :D

Still, great review, thanks! :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, yeah, I actually took the shotgun only because it looks cool on the video....and just 12 shots suck, so I reloaded a little too often. with the rifle it is different as you can see, better to do headshots with it too... :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

a little update:
I am through with the single player mode now,the fun point is that with every interval you finished Fettel is unlocked, so you can play the game again with a different character!

I captured a little gameplay clip, playing with Fettel is even more fun than with Point Man:

[youtube][/youtube]

:D

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I'm confused now.. On who's side are you when you play with Fettel? Those seem to be non-zombie human soldiers..

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, telling you this spoils the story a little, so decide if you want to read this or not:

the Point Man and Paxton Fettel are brothers, they are sons of Alma. They grew up in the Armacham asylum where Harlan Wade, the boss of Armacham, used them for experiments (afterwards their memory was erased, but Alma always takes care of her children as you know ^^).
the Point Man is the "fighter" kind, while Paxton Fettel is the "psychic" kind, he can invade the bodies of others and use them for example.
so actually you play on no side, it's a "family reunion" thing where you search for your mother (Alma) and of course for Harlan Wade for payback.
but ok, the Point Man is still kinda the good guy while Paxton Fettel is the bad one, but you still work together.

oh, and the soldiers are Armacham guys, like in the earlier parts already. :)

what I really love is the song the developers picked for the credits when you have finished the game, displays a great taste in music and a great sense of humor:
[youtube][/youtube]

Broken Angel
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Broken Angel »

w0w :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D> can I copy this review for my blog pls?? :P :P [-o<
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sure... :wink:

Broken Angel

Post by Broken Angel »

fanks sir :D :D :-({|=
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel