Post by ph0bYx »

I don't get that hack thingy :-k

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Deus Ex - Human Revolution

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, took a while for me too to understand it, have a look here:
http://gametipcenter.com/deus-ex-human- ... king-guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but well, for the start it's good to know that the cubes contain extras (that you get when successfully finishing a hack), a stop worm stops the countdown for a limited time when getting traced and a nuke virus captures a node instantly.
it's good when you upgrade the stealth hacking skills, makes life much easier. :wink:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Re: Deus Ex - Human Revolution

Post by Stavros »

Whenever you write your review I'm going to piggy back off it and write some of my feelings on the game both pro and con. Still sorting out how I felt about the game. Mostly good but there are a few things I didn't feel completely satisfied about.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: [REVIEW]Deus Ex - Human Revolution

Post by bad_brain »

alright, here's my official review now... :D

Deus Ex - Human Revolution

Plot:
compared to the plots of the earlier Deus Ex games this one is a little shallow, you work as security chief in a big company that develops augmentations, technologies used to increase the human organism. a security breach happens, your darling is killed (or maybe not, who knows), and you are severely wounded....the only way to save you is by using the augmentation technology, so you end up as some kind of cyborg.
as security chief of the company you have to find out what and who was behind that attack, and of course you also have personal reasons to do so.
as I said, the plot is no too original, but it's also not that bad because it still has the spirit of the old Deus Ex games where big companies rule the world, I just missed the bitter social criticism of the old games a little ("world population endangered by a disease, vaccine only available to the rich and powerful", etc.).
but the plot makes sense and you can dive into it without any "gawd, that's stupid" moments.

Gameplay:
usual FPS controls including the good old inventory, log, upgrade menu, nothing special....but that's good, because when you are used to other games of that genre you can play it intuitive without having to check the control settings repeatedly at the start.
I am playing with a pretty high mouse sensitivity and I am used to it, but when aiming it is a little hard at the beginning, especially when you are attacked and you have to fight back quickly....nothing you can't get used to, but it can give you a hard time.
also don't expect that the good old "run in, kill everything" tactics work, 2 or 3 hits and you are dead, at least until you have the proper augmentations to harden your skin (but even then it's more about tactics than hardcore fraggin').
so you have to take cover often and wait for you energy to refill or for the right time to attack, the "take cover" feature is pretty extensive but if you are a skilled FPs player like me you will almost never use it...at least I pretty much never did.
there are not too many weapons, but you can buy upgrades like silencers, laser markers, ammo upgrades, and so on, so it is fun to tune your weapons and keeps you away from getting bored by the same 3 or 4 weapons all the time.
a little hint: upgrade your inventory space as soon as you can, else it will get pretty annoying because the space is very limited at the start.

Graphics and performance:
the graphics are not REALLY up to date, so don't expect the latest "Call of Duty". but well, it's also not bad, the characters are (mostly) animated well, enough to make the game well atmospheric.
but the game is a little resource hog, so better come with a decent system. but there is one thing that's pretty annoying: the loading time. I mean, I run a pretty fast RAID0, but I have seen games on my C64 with tape drive that loaded faster. and that's not just for the initial start, also when entering a new section or chapter....luckily it's not happening too often during the normal gameplay. but when you meet a hard to kill enemy and you die multiple times (and you will) it's really annoying to wait for the reload all the time.

Pros:
- graphics
- story
- atmosphere
- playing with upgrades
- hey, it's Deus Ex

Cons:
- annoying loading time
- it gets repetitive after a while, some more and bigger cities would have been nice
- the hacking system, also repetitive and sometimes it even makes no sense, hacking a lvl. 4 security system is sometimes easier than a lvl. 2 one, I liked it better in the former games.

Conclusion:
as Circuitbomb said to me, it brings back the cyberpunk, which was about time! not perfect, not really state of the art when it comes to graphics and gameplay details (like the hacking system), but as I wrote above: hey, it's Deus Ex....you don't have to be all "wohooo!!" about it, but for people with a hacky mindset like us it's a must to play.

Rating:
7/10
with "hey, it's Deus Ex" bonus:
8/10

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: [REVIEW]Deus Ex - Human Revolution

Post by ayu »

Nice review.

At first I read this and though "this is a pretty neat game, but I never have time to this so I'll just stick with F.E.A.R and Minecraft", but after reading the part about the "hacky stuff" it became a bit more interesting. Haven't played a game in a long time that has some hacky features, so it might just be something that I will try out :)

Anyway good review, it made me want to actually try out the game, something that I really wasn't thinking about doing before ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"