Mil firstperson shooter games

About your favorite games!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Mil firstperson shooter games

Post by DNR »

With my background it makes sense that I would play military type first person shooter games. It is taught in tactical shooting classes that visual imagery, mental role playing, and mental strategy is a very important in tactical shooting. Working out scenarios in one's mind helps set 'instinctual movement', what worked out in your mind can be the instinctive choice the mind could make when an emergency arise. Knowing where the exits are in the building, locations of possible weapons or cover, number of suspects, and mission priorities - if all that information is pre-programmed in your mind, your 'instincts' will make better choices.
Combat is very fast and heavy, response must overwhelm the parcipants. Your strategy has to pick various tactics based on the level of force that must be returned, by working out how you would react - you again provide logical choices for your 'instinct' to make.
All those shooter scenarios, weather from "Kane & Lynch:Dog Days", "Hitman", Modern Warfare, medal of honor, call of duty, or Operation Flashpoint - train you to work out tactics for survival.

And your parents thought you were just wasting time, not doing bullshit homework, house work, or playing outside - playing 'games'.

So the various games, how do they rate? All the gamer forums and magazines seem to rate graphics, playability, and originality. I thought I rate some games based on realism, games that are useful for training the mind for tactical behavior.

Some games are crap, they are akin to arcade games where you point and shoot at ducks, you can burn off ammo like you were driving a Dillon Aerospace M134 with a million rounds. Bad games teach bad tactics, if you think like those arcade games, I bet you'll end up dead standing without cover and out of bullets. Those games reward 'pray and spray' shooting tactics because they falsely reward the shooter for near misses or hardly fatal hits. Poor Artificial intelligence of your attackers in bad games will make you develop weak and useless tactics that will not help you in real life.

Several of these games are created under the advice of real military or law enforcement shooters, so it is not unreasonable to consider the game scenarios are realistic situations. The expert advice helps coders make the game react appropriately to your action or lack of.

Worst Game
Mercenaries

Ok Games
Call of Duty
Modern Warfare

Best Game
Operation Flashpoint:Red River

(work calls, more later)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Mil firstperson shooter games

Post by bad_brain »

I've seen a report about people playing FPS in the military as part of the training already, and well, games like Counterstrike are surely good to train the teamwork.
also in game conventions military recruiters used such games (looked like a homegrown army game, graphics were shitty) to assess the abilities of potential soldiers....I hope I can do such an assessment one day at a game con, but I doubt I will be labeled as "good soldier" afterwards, more likely as psycho... :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I have been known to frag teammembers that screw up badly in combat.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

DNR wrote:I have been known to frag teammembers that screw up badly in combat.

DNR
*high five* ! :D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

=D>

Just call it revenge against stupid computer AI.

Case in point, in a firefight I order my team to a defensive position - because we are under attack.

Things that will get you killed by me:

I find you running in place, face into a wall, going nowhere, while me and my team get shot to shit. You know the computer somehow forgot there is a wall there, and can't figure out how to get my guy to where he needs to be. Really there is no fix, frag 'em and respawn the character!

I get shot because a bad guy was standing in front of you, and you did nothing. Thanks! here is a frag for your help!

I order you to hold defensive postion, provide suppressive fire while I flank the enemy for a sniper shot. 10 minutes later, 500 yards later, almost in sneaky position to take the game shot - I turn around and there you are, standing behind me - drawing enemy fire.

You get shot alot, because you tend to stand up alot.

I get shot and need medical help, no one helps me - I respawn and come back to kill you.

8-[ Guess thats what they mean by not shooting while angry....

DNR
-

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

You should try Project Reality mod. I have it for Battlefield 2. There is a version for Arma 2, but I just didn't like Arma 2. That's a game you really need to read the manual before playing.