A throwback to the DOS days

About your favorite games!
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

A throwback to the DOS days

Post by Gogeta70 »

So I've been remembering some old games that I used to play when I was a kid. It was on my very first computer, a Compaq Presario running Windows 95. In a fit of nostalgia caused by This StackOverflow question, I decided to give my best attempt at getting Windows 95 installed in a virtual machine.

As it turns out, Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, etc are all considered Abandonware and can be legally downloaded for free.

Needless to say, I failed miserably. So I tried installing Windows 98 in a VM and... Success!

Next, I went on a hunt for downloads of floppy img/disk ISO files of some of my favorite old DOS games. Now, I don't know if I'm just late to the party, but Archive.org has a library of downloads for original MS-DOS game images. There are a lot of other websites out there offering similar downloads, but I found the games difficult to get working because the files were heavily modified most of the time.

Anyway, Some games tend to work better than others. I got Stonekeep to run and play, but it doesn't play nice with VirtualBox's emulated mouse. Here's one that works pretty well:

Anyhow, Just thought I'd share my trip down memory lane :)

Here's where I found a download for Windows 98. They have a TON of other OS's you can download as well, along with old software and games to run on them.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: A throwback to the DOS days

Post by ayu »

Oh, very nostalgic : D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"