Network Hardware detection freezes in the install step

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
scatter
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Network Hardware detection freezes in the install step

Post by scatter »

I lately needed to install kali linux (even tho I never liked it but I recently have to due to some work I have to do with it)
anyway the problem started since the version 1.0.6 till latest version 1.0.9
and I think its about sthg in the kernel

In the install phase when I come to the "detecting network hardware part" the installation process freezes and can t continue doing the installation
The bug was reported by some people but none gave a fix that really works

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php? ... ng-Network" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried ctrl + C , esc , and adding exit 0 to the /bin/check-network-firmware script trying to bypass the step of hardware detection but none worked

I think the problem is due to the abscence of brcom80211 in new kernels > 3.12 in the debian case
How did I find out? I installed wheezy on a VM and installed kernel 3.14 (the kernel used by kali now) and it always kept showing an error saying wirless firmware not found , this is not a problem since debian was already installed then new kernel added but the problem is when you don t have the system and this problem forbid me from installing kali

anyone got an idea ?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Network Hardware detection freezes in the install step

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I never installed or used Kali Linux, but I guess it's using some kind of package repository system too, right? if yes the missing firmware is most likely closed source, and like Debian, the default is to install everything from the standard repositories only....so you will have to add the needed repository that contains closed source software during the install and it should fetch the needed package automatically....in Debian it's done by simply adding "non-free" to the repository list.

another option would be to connect the computer via network cable during the install.

scatter

Post by scatter »

The problem is I have a 3G usb modem so not eth or anything but the idea of adding the software is interesting. I thought of it but never knew how to add it during the install. For example let s say I downloaded it to a 2nd USB disk how can I add it to the installation process?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, can't find the procedure anymore....I have to add the last time I did that was on Debian Squeeze, so it's been a while, and maybe it's not supported anymore. :-k

BUT this one should help you:
https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scatter

Post by scatter »

thx b_b I ll give it a try and come back with the results :)

scatter

Post by scatter »

back with results, well b_b the solution didn't work and I had to go to a cyber caffee where they have eth cables to plug one of them in my laptop and even with that the same problem kept happening only when I added exit 0 after #!/bin/sh in /bin/check-network-firmware which didn t solve the prob without an eth cable

so I think the solution is to review the install scripts in order to bypass that step of network hardware detection and I ll try to see what I can find about it

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmmm...it's very unusual that even the regular NIC isn't recognized, what laptop is it? :-k

scatter

Post by scatter »

Its an HP Pavilion g6

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok, using the netinstaller iso image here should do the trick, it contains non-free drivers/firmware:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... 86/iso-cd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:

scatter

Post by scatter »

hehe that s the problem b_b I don t have an eth cable to use it for netinstall , I use a 3G usb modem , plus the problem doesn t occur with normal debian that uses kernel 3.2 , it occurs only with debian running kernel >= 3.13 :p