Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome 3

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ayu
Staff
Staff

Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome 3

Post by ayu »

Thought this was worth mentioning.
Ubuntu has gone back to Gnome in 17.10 and thrown Unity out the window.
Installed it a few days ago and it's rather glorious :).

Recommend it!

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I currently have two issues with it, but these issues are the same ones I had in Mint.
The sound is making cracking noises when I use my headphones, and the xserver crashes if I have my Asus screen in the HDMI-port in the graphics card, and then put the screen to sleep (it will crash when it tries to wake up).
However, putting the screen in a Display Port adapter solves this for some reason : /
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome 3

Post by lilrofl »

Working toward some Red Hat certifications I have been working with Centos 7 lately. I had some issues with it at first, but I have really come around.

In all fairness, I never liked Unity so it's nice to see it taking second stage to Gnome, which I also don't care for exactly; but at least it has history :D

The one thing I will say for the Nautilus file manager is that is flawlessly linked SSH folders to my local machine, where as I have challenges making Dolphin do the same.

My girl has recently showed interest in Linux, mainly because Windows 10 makes her feel like an unprivileged user on Microsoft's computer. I will have to demo the new Ubuntu to her and see if it's her style.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

lilrofl wrote:Working toward some Red Hat certifications I have been working with Centos 7 lately. I had some issues with it at first, but I have really come around.

In all fairness, I never liked Unity so it's nice to see it taking second stage to Gnome, which I also don't care for exactly; but at least it has history :D

The one thing I will say for the Nautilus file manager is that is flawlessly linked SSH folders to my local machine, where as I have challenges making Dolphin do the same.

My girl has recently showed interest in Linux, mainly because Windows 10 makes her feel like an unprivileged user on Microsoft's computer. I will have to demo the new Ubuntu to her and see if it's her style.
If you are going to demo it to her, make sure to mention that the launcher bar can be moved to the bottom of the screen with ease. Currently the default is to the left (like Unity).
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Y'know, sometimes I hate the fact that it takes me a while to get a system set up just the way I like. I've been running on Debian for so long, I haven't seen anything that Ubuntu has done in the last few years. I've heard a lot about the removal of Unity though. Seems like people either love it or hate it. Isn't it just a desktop environment?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Unity has been a stupid idea right from the start because it's utilizing Compiz (actually Unity is a Compiz plugin), which means it's a nasty resource hog.
also it isn't a real desktop environment because it does not come with its own bundle of software like Gnome or KDE.....so it's more like a very bloated wallpaper. :lol:

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

[quote="bad_brain"] it isn't a real desktop environment because it does not come with its own bundle of software like Gnome or KDE.....so it's more like a very bloated wallpaper. :lol:[/quote

This made me laugh :D

Unity was supposed to be an solution to the Gnome/KDE division... I always thought it was a little simple; but in all fairness I didn't spend a ton of time playing with it. I prefer KDE but I respect Gnome enough and I, for one, am glad to see unity go
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Yeah, honestly between KDE, Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, Cinnamon, Mate... I think we have enough choices. :lol:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Oh yes!
I've been using Ubuntu for a ~half a year now and every time I choose Gnome as my DE - hate that Unity thing.
I'm glad they made this decision.