How to make a bootable CD?

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

How to make a bootable CD?

Post by Lyecdevf »

I have been thinking of either dual booting or using a virtual machine to change between multiple OS. However, I have not even gotten there and I am alreday having trouble.

I started a few days ago by downloading Vmware. Than I went off to chose my Linux. I downloaded Ubuntu and followed the directions there to burning a CD image using a freeware program and I kept getting the error Input/output error.

This is going quite a project for me. I have not done any think this complex before. For some one who has not studied computers I think it is fair to say so. If any one could help me out it would be much appreciated.

I have asked on anothe forum where they were very helpfull and gave me plenty of directions but in the end it still did not work out. So if you have only a few sugesttions do post as I am going to be going around for a while looking at other places as well seeking help on this subject. Thanks again and a happy new year.

sternbildchen
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by sternbildchen »

Hm I don't understand what exactly you want. ^^

1) If you want simple help with Vmware I can help you. I also use VMware to play around with Linux. :D

2) If you want a live cd just search google for "Linux Live CD".

3) If you have problems with burning the iso (for the Install CD), then I think you should get yourself a version of Nero. (If you want to use VMware you dont need a real CD, the Iso is enought for VMware.)

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I am not sure I know the difference between a live CD and a bootable CD but let's leave that asside. What I need is multiple OS on my compter. Now I figured that one Linux OS and Windows XP would do just fine. Of course I do not have to end there. I could still add solaris or any thing else to my liking and test it until I figure out which one I really like.

Maybe you did not understand what I wanted because I am testing out many things right now and because of that I do not know what in the end I will be using. I might if I feel like Vmware is not for me to use dual boot instead.

Now for dual boot you need a bootable CD. Am I corect?! However, because this is not my first choice and you say that for Vmware I do not need it at all we can leave that asside.

when I tried to instal some Linux distro on my computer using Vmware I got each time an error saying that it did not find any bootable device on my CD drive or floopy. So I figured I need a bootable CD.

NOw if you say that I do not I would need a bootable CD I need to know how to make Wmware instal the ISO file of my hard drive. I did not find any such options my self.

In any case it would not do any harm if I did have a bootable CD. I do have nero and I tried burning as an image file but with out successes.

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

Just mount the iso with the CD drive. (Its VMware Workstation but I guess there is no big difference.) :D

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I got it! Happy new year to you!

zer0Dose

Post by zer0Dose »

i decided to go linux on my laptop box, fun on the go and keep windows on my desk box , question to this. i burnt a iso of goblinx linux as a live cd using i think cd burn pro x3, something similar to that, sry its 6:20 in the morn and im barley hanging,just gotta get this in before i crash. but with vm, am i to understand you can download a iso and install it as your main operating system on your hard drive with this? and also, just a lil insurance, does it matter if u use a cd/dvd on a boot disc? i used cd on the live linux but it's time to go full.. sry if thats a bit choppy guys, help me if u can, thnx..im gonna crash now.

thnx

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

VMware is a programm you install f.e. on Windows to use Linux while having Windows running in the background. So "really" you only have installed windows on your computer. It just simulates a second computer or a virtual network.

If you want to install Linux on your laptop just burn an iso cd/dvd (doesn't matter), put it in your cd-rom driver (which must be set as first boot device in the bios) and then just follow the install programm appering on the screen. (Maybe you must delete windows manually before. I don't know whether goblinx linux has an inbuild partition manager.)

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

Lyecdevf wrote:I got it! Happy new year to you!
Are you Chinese ?

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:24 am Post subject:

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

sternbildchen wrote:
O, okay.

LaBlueGirl
Suckopithicus chickasaurus
Suckopithicus chickasaurus

Post by LaBlueGirl »

FrankB wrote:
sternbildchen wrote:
O, okay.
LOL!!!
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR

zer0Dose

Post by zer0Dose »

sternbildchen wrote:VMware is a programm you install f.e. on Windows to use Linux while having Windows running in the background. So "really" you only have installed windows on your computer. It just simulates a second computer or a virtual network.

If you want to install Linux on your laptop just burn an iso cd/dvd (doesn't matter), put it in your cd-rom driver (which must be set as first boot device in the bios) and then just follow the install programm appering on the screen. (Maybe you must delete windows manually before. I don't know whether goblinx linux has an inbuild partition manager.)
goblin , slackware, ubuntu , knoppix , all those to my knowledge dont have parition managers , MAYBE slackware but i used live cd of it so i cant vouche, the partition manager would be in the iso folder, correct?