Linux for gamers=

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ajunix
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Linux for gamers=

Post by ajunix »

Hi, does there exist an linux version, desiered to counter strike gamers? if, tell me!

p99
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by p99 »

Google wine for linux. They claim to be able to run Steam and various other games.

The alternative is to run vmware on a linux box and install windows for your gaming but you won't be able to reach full use of your hardware.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

right, and imo it's better to use "mainstream" distros like Fedora or SuSe for such issues, simply because they include non-open source drivers, else you can get unsatisfying results with the graphics card, Debian for example includes none of these drivers.
:wink:

p99

Post by p99 »

ATI has drivers for linux on there site. At least that's where I got the ones for my radeon.

And that was on Ubuntu! 3d support is a bitch to get to work

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I don't understand why Ubuntu became that famous anyway....the repositories suck (Ubuntu is 80% Debian but most Debian packages cause errors during install)...the real Debian is unbeatable in stability and the repositories are awesome, only for total beginners it's maybe not the first choice because there are some differences from the other distros (apache configuration for example). and well, the driver implementation might be better in Etch (I'm downloading RC1 right now...eww, 3 DVDs!).

p99

Post by p99 »

I end up with problems with package dependencies when I try to install from source. Other than that it was..... good to learn off of.

But I had Suse with kde before. Nothing new to learn there.

I only have fedora core 1 or 2. That's why I prefer to run the latest ubuntu. Untill I screwed things up.

Easy fix except i'm needing a new hdd.

ilnux
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by ilnux »

I haven't had any problems with Ubuntu, it has been quite solid. I think it's poplur though bad_brain because of the community. You can ask a question and get help and a reply easily. Plus it tends to be bleeding edge and peeps now aday stuff like that floats their boats. I know it does mine. I can't wait for KDE4, but you prolly won't see that in Debian Stable for a long time But Ubuntu will have it after the next release in April which will be around Christmas I guess. I don't like SuSE at all. It takes forever to install. It's difficult to add repostories. If I were to suggest a noob distro I would suggest Mandrake because at least they have urpmi. On a side not. Knoppix has a games distro, and PC Linux has a games distro so you might want to check those out. I can get drivers up and running in Ubuntu easily by installing automatix. Thankfully my laptop uses open source intel drivers so I don't need to do any tinkering with my xorg.conf file :)