installing Linux from Windows - good for Linux beginners!

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

installing Linux from Windows - good for Linux beginners!

Post by bad_brain »

alright, the biggest problem for Linux beginners is usually the install procedure, especially partitioning and bootloader issues when trying to setup Linux in a dual OS environment together with XP. I found a nice way which makes this much easier: you can start the install while on XP and the rest is (almost) running automatically!

there are 2 Linux distributions which support this: Debian and Ubuntu.
Debian is my favorite, but it seems the Ubuntu install is even easier because you can use the existing partitions and don't have to create a new one like with Debian.

k, first the link to the Debian installer:
http://goodbye-microsoft.com/
when you have downloaded and started the Debian installer you'll be asked if you want a textbased or graphical install procedure, then the computer reboots and you'll find Debian as 2nd OS in your boot menu. when you pick it a partition for Debian will be created and all needed files will be installed via the internet (so it is highly recommended to have a fast connection, same for the Ubuntu install).

here the link to the Ubuntu installer:
http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetup/
installing Ubuntu don't even need the creation of a new partition, it uses the existing one! but well, they say it's still experimental.......on the other side it can't be more experimental than Vista I guess... :lol:

on both installs the existing XP system will NOT be removed, after install you'll have a dual OS system.
enjoy! :wink:

ilnux
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by ilnux »

I think this is awesome. I have yet to try it. I'm going to be running in Linux in VMWARE from now on to practice exploits and stuff on my servers before I get into college next year.