Problems with Ubuntu!

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

pseudo_opcode wrote:man isnt it called iceweasel instead of firefox in Debian?
I do not know about debian but I am using Ubuntu and I am sure it is firefox. I have even downloaded different firefox thems from the site and applied them sucessfully.

Any way I think I have solved the Mandriva CD mystery. It was all along my mistake. I mistook a DVD that I used to back up all the mandriva files I had with the bootable CD. So once I find it I am going to try my luck with it but thanks any way. Some day when I get used to Linux I am probablly going to try out Ubuntu again.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

I'm currently using Ubuntu gnome, not KUbuntu and everything works fine here. If you have some question, maybe I can help :)
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Well I do have a question regarding the firewall. What I have learned is that Linux is by default a closed system and that it does not really need a firewall. Is that true?

I set up this firewall called fireworks that I downloaded from the Ubuntu servers. However, it does not start up when I start up the system I have to manually turn it on if I want it to work.

I also have a question regarding the virtual machines on Ubuntu. I would like to set a honeypot.
- Hannibal

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

Lyecdevf wrote:
pseudo_opcode wrote:man isnt it called iceweasel instead of firefox in Debian?
I do not know about debian but I am using Ubuntu and I am sure it is firefox. I have even downloaded different firefox thems from the site and applied them sucessfully.
I know but there was a clash between Debian policies and firefox ones, so firefox guys told debian to either stick to their policies or change the name of the browser, and Debian chose to do the latter, it had "ice" instead of "fire" lol

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

pseudo:
in Debian Etch it seems Firefox is a "transition of Iceweasel"..whatever that means.. :lol: in Debian Sarge the package is definitly named firefox...I guess it's a copyright issue or something like that.

Lyecdevf:
well, if you use the box as simply desktop system a firewall is not really necessary, but imo a Linux user should know how to setup/use one because you don't have this great opportunity in Windows (at least not in such an easy way). I recommend not to use graphical firewall apps, the best way is the good old shell:

to view your firewall rules:

Code: Select all

iptables -L
as you can see there you have 3 so-called chains: INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT.
you can set different POLICIES for each chain: ACCEPT or DROP
ACCEPT means everything is allowed if it is not forbidden by a rule, DROP means everything is blocked if it is not allowed by a rule.

let's create a rule which drops all ICMP traffic (ping for example):

iptables -I INPUT - p icmp -j DROP
or another example, let's drop all requests to port 3306:

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 3306 -j DROP
it might look a little confusing at the beginning, but when you have tested a little you will be able to use the basic stuff soon... :wink:

here are some other basic commands which will be useful:

iptables -F
this flushes all rules

if you want your firewall rules to be loaded automatically on bootup you need to save them first:

iptables-save > filename
when done the rules will be read from the file at when booting, you can also do it manually by

iptables-restore < filename
there are so many possibilities that I could just give a first look, here's a nice reference I use too:
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/ ... orial.html
if you want to download it:
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/ ... l.html.tgz

have fun, if you have further questions about firewalls just ask.. :)

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

lol b_b this reminds me of a client's server which i showed you... with hundreds of rules.. remember that?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, that was totally ridiculous.... :roll:
a good firewall don't need many rules, because at a certain amount it becomes un-concise and almost impossible to handle. before blocking a service with the firewall a user should ask himself if the service is needed at all....no service is always more secure than a filtered one.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I have another problem with Ubuntu. Some times when I shut it down I get a black screen and it wont go away. I have to rebot the system and turn if off by pressing the shut down button on my computer.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

is it just happening when shutting the box down through desktop, or is it also happening when shutting it down manually in the shell by

shutdown -h now
?

and is the screen completely black or do you get a power down message?

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Yeah, I get that powerdown message on the black screen. I never shut it down in shell though.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ah, ok....it's a mainboard issue then, the "power down" message is the same as "it's safe to turn the computer off now" like it was in older MS systems. look either in BIOS or the jumper settings, I can't say how the option is named (it's most likely different for any manufacturer anyway), so you have to test a little.... :wink:

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Ubuntu seems to have fiexed it on it's own. It is just one of those computer things that fix them selves when you focus enough mind power on the problem. :wink:
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hehe, yeah...one of those "don't ask why, just be happy" things... :lol:

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I have recentlly installed mandriva because it was to dificult for me to use Ubuntu. However, in both I had the same problem when I tried to connect to my router.
- Hannibal