Staff

Debian freezing on startup

Post by ayu »

K so this happens every time i start my computer, and i am getting sick of it

Start 1: Waiting for root file system

reboot....

Start 2: Waiting for root file system

reboot....

Start 3: input: USB HID V1.10 Device [Logitech HID compliant keyboard] on USB - 0000 : 00 : 03.0-2

reboot....

Start 4: drivers/USB/input/hid-core.c : v2.6 : USB HID core driver

This time i got lucky...it usually happens about 10 times before i can start.....
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I heard there's a problem with udev, try this (you have to be logged in as root):

Code: Select all

cd /
mkdir /mnt/debian
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/debian
chroot /mnt/debian /bin/bash
apt-get update
apt-get install udev
you might get errors on the last command, simply ignore them.
when done reboot...

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

man debian can be a real bitch to install...
I had problems with mouse.. took me 18 hours to resolve.. module usbmouse was blacklisted.. and i had to load other shitload of modules in /etc/modules.

Then second problem was with opengl.. just to enable direct rendering i even recompiled my kernel... and still i wasnt able to enable it..
i installed nvidia drivers from repositories as well as nvidia site but to no effect, finally i managed to somehow get them working on 2.4 kernel, with a lot of tweaking.. now i can play games on linux.. it took me almost 10 hours to sort the problem out..
So in all, i think gentoo was easier to install than debian.. earlier my gnome environment used to freeze, but after dist-upgrading some packages and direct rendering its very stable now..
Soon i m gonna install compiz... 3d desktop environment.. :wink:
And i m sure.. slightest mistake and my whole installation can corrupt.. phew!!!

Debian's does not like my hardware... :roll: So maybe its not a very good option for everyone..

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

enmaai:/home/neo130# cd /
enmaai:/# mkdir /mnt/debian
enmaai:/# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/debian
enmaai:/# chroot /mnt/debian /bin/bash
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

:?

whats bash? ^^

man debian can be a real bitch to install...
I had problems with mouse.. took me 18 hours to resolve.. module usbmouse was blacklisted.. and i had to load other shitload of modules in /etc/modules.

Then second problem was with opengl.. just to enable direct rendering i even recompiled my kernel... and still i wasnt able to enable it..
i installed nvidia drivers from repositories as well as nvidia site but to no effect, finally i managed to somehow get them working on 2.4 kernel, with a lot of tweaking.. now i can play games on linux.. it took me almost 10 hours to sort the problem out..
So in all, i think gentoo was easier to install than debian.. earlier my gnome environment used to freeze, but after dist-upgrading some packages and direct rendering its very stable now..
Soon i m gonna install compiz... 3d desktop environment.. Wink
And i m sure.. slightest mistake and my whole installation can corrupt.. phew!!!

Debian's does not like my hardware... Rolling Eyes So maybe its not a very good option for everyone..
I am having problems with the git command when installing OpenGL.... did you have? :/ or you used another way of installing it?

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

What graphics card do you have? I did not install git or anything since my graphics card drivers were available in debian repositories (non free), plus a lot of configuration.. And if you have nvidia i m sure i can help you install, coz now i have a lot of experience troubleshooting nvidia..

P.S. There's a startegy game for linux called Wesnoth, i havent played much but looks like a good game..lol

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

pseudo_opcode wrote:What graphics card do you have? I did not install git or anything since my graphics card drivers were available in debian repositories (non free), plus a lot of configuration.. And if you have nvidia i m sure i can help you install, coz now i have a lot of experience troubleshooting nvidia..

P.S. There's a startegy game for linux called Wesnoth, i havent played much but looks like a good game..lol
ATI Radeon 9600 series, but if you could help me i would greatly appreciate it ^^

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

um, I just have experience with nvidia too... :?

but I wanted to give a short explanation about what we did on IRC yesterday to fix the boot problem:
I heard udev can have conflicts with initramfs-tools, udev is about the devices (/dev) and the job of initramfs-tools is to create and load a virtual kernel into RAM at bootup before the real kernel is loaded. so it's no wonder booting fails when having trouble with one of those packages.

what we did was to replace initramfs-tools with an alternative package named yaird, first we installed it:

apt-get install yaird
then we removed initramfs-tools (and it's config files):

apt-get --purge remove initramfs-tools
next we downloaded the kernel image for your system and installed it again so the new kernel uses yaird instead of initramfs-tools:

dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6-686_2.6.18+6_i386.deb
after the reboot the new kernel was loaded and it (luckily) worked.... :)

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

udev doenst work with mine since i have kernel 2.4.27 but still i got the drivers working...*applause*
for 2.6 i tried apt but no success, i compiled a custom kernel too but again it had a shitload of problems...
but right now i m more than happy with my computer and Debian, working really fine with no problems and is very very stable.. can depend on it now..

Linux really requires a lot of configuration.. i must admit windows really made me lazy.. atleast now atleast i control my system rather than it controlling itself....

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

pseudo_opcode wrote:Linux really requires a lot of configuration.. i must admit windows really made me lazy.. atleast now atleast i control my system rather than it controlling itself....
One of the main reasons i am trying to change to Linux atm =/

Got a message when emptying my trashcan "do you want to delete WINDOWS?" ...... i kinda snapped there and started to look arround for a good distro....and then b_b introduced me to Debian ^^