Stavros' Thread of Perpetual Linux Questions

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Stavros' Thread of Perpetual Linux Questions

Post by Stavros »

Ok, so I know about apt-get and (from what I understand) is used to get packages through the internet.

Now, I've already downloaded the package through a torrent (CEDEGA, FYI) and now I'm at a loss. I downloaded it and saved it to my external hard drive because of dial-up (if anyone remembers, yes, I'm still on dial-up).

Now I want to install CEDEGA to Xandros, but I've tried the command "apt-get" followed by the directory.

Inside the directory are the following files:

Code: Select all

cedega-engine-6.0-local-update.i386.cpkg
cedega-small-6.0.1.i386.rpm
cedega-small-6.0    (TGZ file)
cedega-small-mandriva-6.0.1.i386.rpm
cedega-small-small-suse-6.0.1.i386.rpm
cedega-small-small_6.0_all.deb
I can save these files to the My Documents folder (Xandros is similar to Windows in that respect), but I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Would anyone be willing to help me out?
Last edited by Stavros on 05 Jun 2007, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

If

Post by maboroshi »

If your on Debian to install that package type

dpkg -i cedega-small-small_6.0_all.deb or install from source not sure if Xandros uses .deb files

You don't need the other packages

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yep! apt-get is for remote installs (the package is in the repository servers of Debian for example)...for a local install (package is on your system already you have to use dkpg -i packagename.
and because Xandros is based on Debian you should use the .deb package.. :wink:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Ok, that leads me to my next question (and one you might not know):

-What if I try to install on say, openSUSE 10.2 or Fedora Core 6 (or whichever version Zod is)?

I have looked at both site's documentation and all I'm really seeing is either apt-get for remote installation or the GUI YaST. I'm interested in a terminal install (kinda "do it the hard way").

I'll edit if I find anything. Time for class.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Ok, I installed openSUSE 10.2 (and yes copied down my password) and installed it on a fast hard drive.

But I've got a couple problems.

-I don't have the video card drivers installed (but I just downloaded them from nVidia's website and I'll be working on that after class).

-I tried installing a bunch of programs via YaST and I got a few errors.

-I can't connect to the internet over dial-up (no drivers for the external modem, but Xandros Home Premium 4 supports it).

-Still havent installed Cedega 6.0, but again I'll be working on it along with the video card drivers.

One last thing: Could someone tell me about ".run" files? That's the format the drivers are in. I did save the install instructions, but I want to know specifically about .run and if it's widely used.

Thanks in advance.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

- have you downloaded all updates already through Yast? if yes what kind of errors you got when installing the programs?

- Linux + dialup = pain in the ass
95% of analogue modems are so-called "win-modems"....name says it all.. :?
when I was on dialup I tried 5 or 6 different modems without any success, the only one I've been able to use was a really old 21k one. the only new modems I know which support Linux are Devolo ones (RJ45), also some US Robotics and Creative Labs ones (serial port), all of them are external modems. how is your actual external modem connected?

- hmm....never came across a .run file yet, but file extensions in Linux are not handled like in Windows, actually Linux don't care about file extensions at all. you could rename it to filename.wefuf489rfls and it still would work as before.....so I guess it's just a hint of the developer, like "run this file for setup!".

- I have used SuSe just for a very short time (first distro I ever used), so I don't know about using Yast in a shell, but simply try this:

Code: Select all

man yast
it should display the manual then with all possible options.
usually those package management tools work similar, in Debian it's apt-get install nmap for example...in Fedora yum install nmap....so I guess it's pretty similar for Yast.

:wink:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

My modem is connected through USB. I read that most distros don't support USB dial-up modems...that's why I'm downloading Xandros 4. It supports my particular dial-up modem (Dynex MX-300).

I'll probably either wait until I go back down to Florida to update over cable, or go to a friends house to update. And I might try to bring my computer up to the school (as much of a pain in the ass that might be).

Guess I should have tried "man yast" first.

Anyway, thanks...I think I'm going to rename this "Stavros' On-Going Linux Questions"

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Well, I have good news:

-I got Xandros 4.1 and installed it so, now I have a working Linux distro that supports my USB modem (more incentive to use Linux :wink: )

So that means a couple things:

-I need to figure out how to install stuff on here
-I need to install CEDEGA (well not need, but if Xandros can play it it would be great)
-I don't have to install the NVIDIA drivers anymore since Xandros doesn't act like Windows Safe Mode (which is what openSUSE was doing).

If I come across anything I'll be sure to post here.