Heh

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Heh

Post by Big-E »

I showed my manager here at MCAF an Ubuntu live CD. He is enjoying it so much that he may make a proposal to the board members to switch the lab computers to Linux. Only draw back is, they might be getting funding from Microsoft which would suck things up big time. :( It's also funny, MCAF stands for Multicultural assoc. of Fredericton..and there was this African guy in the lab when we ran Ubuntu, and he is like "Hey that is zulu (his language)" and apparently Ubuntu means "community help" if translated into English, a fact I never knew.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh, interesting...didn't knew that... :-k

and well, for networking issues Linux beats MS by far, so it's generally a good idea. what are the servers in the network running on btw? also MS?

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

bad_brain wrote:oh, interesting...didn't knew that... :-k

and well, for networking issues Linux beats MS by far, so it's generally a good idea. what are the servers in the network running on btw? also MS?
Yes, they are. He has them on 2003 and 2000 but I am sure they could also be switched. :) That would be a lot of work though. :(

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

not really....because most Linux distros have server applications included already. of course it depends on the needed services, but imo it wouldn't take more than 1/2 day... :wink:

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

bad_brain wrote:not really....because most Linux distros have server applications included already. of course it depends on the needed services, but imo it wouldn't take more than 1/2 day... :wink:
He might be down for that, but I think only in the labs. The teachers/administration here (they teach language classes here) wouldn't be up for switching to linux, but then again they ask me how to create tables in Word all the time, so they probably wouldn't notice a difference. :twisted: