So I messed up xorg.conf.

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

So I messed up xorg.conf.

Post by Big-E »

Whilst trying to install my video drivers, damn you ati *shakes fist*...anyway. I have no lost my write permission on my filesysystem and now I am unable to restore my back up using

Code: Select all

sudo chmod g+w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
does not work.
It says something about permissions gethostuser(): read only filysystem
or something like that (laptop is at home so I can't remember for sure, but it's definately along those lines). How do I restore my permissions so that I can restore the back ups of my xorg.conf file? I am almost 100% sure it was the .conf file I messed up, and prevents my from booting into xserver. Google only returns issues related to networking when I do this, and etc/host file or something?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

umm...do you want to replace the file with the backup or edit the file take back changes you made in there?

if you want to replace the file put the backup file in / and:

rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf
mv backupfile /etc/X11/xorg.conf
chmod 666 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
if you want to edit the file use the vi editor:

vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
to enter the insert-mode press i (you will most likely get a warning that the file is protected, simply ignore it).
make your changes....when done leave the insert-mode by pressing <Esc>, then enter

:wq!
make sure you're logged in as root user in both cases.

note: on some distros <backspace> don't work in vi, to delete signs leave the insert-mode and press x to delete signs.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Heh, I got ahold of one of my old CS buddies and went and ate lunch with him. Apparently I somehow changed the write permission on my whole mount..so there was basically nothing that could be done. I only had 2 days logged on the linux machine anyway so I did a clean install of feisty fawn..he keeps demanding I switch to debian or gentoo though. Good idea?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I recommend Debian, it's my favorite distro.... :wink:

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

bad_brain wrote:well, I recommend Debian, it's my favorite distro.... :wink:
I don't want the easy way out and switch, I want to configure something hard and learn in the process. I don't think Ubuntu likes the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M video card that came with my laptop. It poops on it every time, and apparently there is a lot of troubles with it as google brings up tons of solutions. I had tried about 10-15 various solutions to switch my card to do direct rendering even after folllowing all the troubleshooting techniques x 2. :(

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

well im a complete noob to linux but gave debian a try anyway although got told to stay awa and use abuntu as it has more support forums etc. which is why i probably decided on debian (prefer a challenge)

im also using a toshiba satalite pro and have had no driver problems at all. :wink:

RNA
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by RNA »

Gentoo Wooooo!!!!!

I've been using it for a while, my current install has Gnome/Beryl, KDE, Fluxbox, Blackbox, and E17 for WMs :P

Gentoo install isnt easy, its not a 'pop in a CD, hit some buttons and go'. the LiveCD for 2007.0 is evil. It also compiles things from source, so installing takes time.

I used the install CD and the handbook to install mine a few weeks ago(broke my old install). The only issues were some kernel modules(my kernel didn't support sata, the drive its on is sata, rofl) its not a begginers distro(though, it was my first distro, I personally perfer the harder ones) they have a wiki with every info you'd ever need.