Which linux distro do you advice?

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Which linux distro do you advice?

Post by Lyecdevf »

I first wanted to post this in the linux section and if the admin feels it more appropriate for it to be there than I have nothing against it.

As you may know or may not I am a linux user and I have been using linux for a while now. Well I have been using it for a couple of months now to be exact.

I first tried to use Ubuntu but later started using mandriva as it was easier and to this day I still am using it. However, I have come more accustomed to using linux and it's various features so I believe that I could handle any linux with the KDE desktop or Gnome for that matter.

I am going to install some new linux on my box in the coming weeks. So I am going to ask of you which distro do you think that I should use or have a go at it. Remember I am still relativelly new to linux but I know how to install tar.gz programs and do other stuff on it.

This is my complete list of linux distributions:
1. Ubuntu 7.04
2. FreeBSD
3. Backtrack 2
4 Ubuntu 6.06.1
5. Slackware 12 (the first three CD's)
6. Mandriva
7. GenII honeynet
8. Astalavista security toolbox DVD v4.0
9. Deibian ( I am not sure because I forgot to label it)
10 State one of your choice

So now you have a complete list of my linux distros. Which one do you think would be for me or which one should I try first?
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Debian!! :D
Etch or even Lenny... :)

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

All these CD's are my linux distros. Now I really need to take use of them!

- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hehe...almost as much as me... :lol:
it's kinda hard to recommend a distro because it's much about personal flavor and about the hardware, I never had any hardware trouble with Debian for example...but others had.
finding the distro you really like is much about testing, I tried about 50 distros yet...and for me Debian is my favorite.
so maybe start with Debian, and if you have trouble with it try Ubuntu...I don't recommend FreeBSD for beginners because installing it can be a pain in the rear, especially getting the xserver up... :wink:

TheKingOfHearts

Post by TheKingOfHearts »

Ubuntu 7.04 is the ones i use
its good for beginners and its user friendly to some extent

Alstalavista Security DVD isnt a distro? i think its a disk for windows that has a bunch of stuff for hacking
[url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2034/oopsrg8.gif]/sig[/url]

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

In the last few months I was downloading and burning all these distros like I was crazy. Now I am going to eliminate the ones that people think are not that great. I trust that you are right about FreeBSD and I wont try it.

The Astalavistatoolbox is an ISO file so I burned it as in ISO file. I have not yet tried it but I figure it is just like every other ISO that boots.
- Hannibal

bubzuru
.net coder
.net coder

Post by bubzuru »

Lyecdevf wrote:In the last few months I was downloading and burning all these distros like I was crazy. Now I am going to eliminate the ones that people think are not that great. I trust that you are right about FreeBSD and I wont try it.

The Astalavistatoolbox is an ISO file so I burned it as in ISO file. I have not yet tried it but I figure it is just like every other ISO that boots.
Astalavistatoolbox is just a toolkit with lots ov
tools you cant boot from it :lol:

Penumbral
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by Penumbral »

I love Slackware, but it can be a pain in the ass, and hard to make work just right.

Debian works good for me, and I love the options. (however slack has a better support group)

Fedora is ok and easy, but it is not compatable with all my stuff.

Ubuntu/kubuntu I personaly dislike for loads of reasons, and I have a personal bias against them aswell. (If you like this just go with debian its the same just better, and it is still being worked on(stupid myth that ubuntu totally took over debian))

If this is your desktop then no on Gentoo

Also Free/Open BSD are good, but prolly not what you want.

Zenwalk = annoying
but not as annoying as ArchLinux

BackTrack is not what you want if this is your only OS (BT is just slackware current pre 12.0 configured for pen testing)

Again this is just my opinion on how these worked for me.
Non Serviam

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Penumbral wrote:and I have a personal bias against them aswell.
The word is prejudice. If you are against them but if you are for them you say you have a bias for them.

Any way I kind of agree with you. I thought that 7.04 feisty fawn would be a bit different from the previous on I had. I just could not work on it so the only other option I had was to go for Debian.:oops: ...which turned out to be Fedora Core. I confused the two and forgot to label. Any way I am working on Fedora Core right now.
- Hannibal

zeus_zf
forum buddy
forum buddy

test drive

Post by zeus_zf »

What I like to do is download distros: and test them using vmplayer. It is more cost effective that. The cost being time.

Instead of guessing, you can spend a few minutes on all of them.

Which one is easier for you to handle. Now I know you might say well, Zeus I know about how to use linux etc...I think this is sound advice. Everyone will have their favorite. Now a guy just said Debian, I would agree. Another would say Ubuntuu, or another will say SUSE. Anyone that reads this and carries the same question...Check out this website.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php A list of liveCD's. And do what I call "Grocery Shopping for Linux." Where you download what you want, and the return policy is the recyclebin, or trash whatever.

Now personally, as a guy starting off in linux I really enjoy Debian or Knoppix (samething) a great deal. Also a guy starting off in hacking wanting to know what was a good linux for this? A guy mentioned whoppix, which is a cross between knoppix and something else. Someone else will tell you. Anyhow, I hated it. I then stumbled upon phlak, it was nice, but not for me. Then I stumbled on the site I gave you...And discovered backtrack. Which I love.

And just went shopping. With having vmplayer, I could play the iso right out the box. Not having to worry about, burning CD's for a while. If I hated it, I would throw it away. Also the beauty of having broadband, that your longest waiting period is 45 minutes.

Anyways, that is my suggestion. Which is: Debian/Knoppix everyday & backtrack for hacking everyday.
<strong><a href="\\\\\\\http://the-gatesofolympus.tk\\\\\\\" title="\\\\\\\My Site\\\\\\\">THE GATES OF OLYMPUS</a> </strong><hr>
I am putting together a team of hackers and gamers for fun and profit. We are looking for awesome people such as yourself

borokali

Post by borokali »

i have used turbo linux and RH 9.0 so far.........but now i am using mandriva 2007..
i feel that this distro is quite helpful to the newbies