Newly installed Linux, Recommendations

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
toast
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Newly installed Linux, Recommendations

Post by toast »

So I finally dumped windows completely. So for about a week I've been fooling around with Linux/Ubuntu. Im pretty good about using the terminal etc. But I'm wondering if there is anything that someone has encountered that should be warned for beginners.
I'm so used to windows I'm worried about viruses and other nasty stuff. I've been told about iptables for a firewall. Is that highly recommended?
Gah, getting this whole new os, threw me off. And I want a trusted opinion of ppl instead of banging around on the net.

Thanks for thoughts and ideas-
:3 Toast
Last edited by toast on 17 Sep 2007, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

an easy firewall i found to install and configure was "guarddog" and it is available as an apt package :wink:

*edit* i stand corrected as neo has tried this with ubuntu and had problems although i used it on debian and had none so i would go with b_b recommendation and try the iptables in which neo has already posted on so that may help :roll:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, forget about antivirus software, you don't need it anymore now...almost all antivirus apps for Linux are designed for services like mail servers where files are forwarded to non-*nix systems. the chance of a virus infection is about the same of getting hit by a lightning...twice...within 10 minutes...during a sunny day...while inside the house... :lol:

and because of this a firewall is also not really necessary because your there are no exploitable services when you keep your system up to date, to do this run:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
best once a day... :wink:

but if you really want to block specific apps via firewall iptables might not be the best choice for a beginner (except you really want to learn about networking)...so a graphical i-face like Guarddog would be better, but personally I have never used such an i-face so I can't really recommend one... :wink:

toast

Post by toast »

Thanks so much!

<3 Toast