[Solved][Wi-Fi] WLAN card acting up

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ayu
Staff
Staff

[Solved][Wi-Fi] WLAN card acting up

Post by ayu »

1: Ok so first of all....when I connect to my school network and login to their domain, i get kicked out in about 5-10 minutes. Dunno why... but can anyone give a logical explanation to this?

I thought about maybe the MAC address getting banned, or maybe i just loose connection because of weak signal.

Or maybe it's because the authentication didn't pass and i got access anyway, and then maybe the connection "expired". Anyway suggestions would be nice. Maybe someone has experienced something similar.

I don't have the problem when out in town wardriving, only in school, where i actually need it.

2: Ok so issue number two. I have been working on making the laptop more safe. So I added

macchanger -a eth0

to /etc/rc.local to "change" the MAC address, thus giving it a new address every time i started the lappy.

and it works perfect for that card, but if I did the same with wlan0 it would complain about the card being active or busy and that it could not change it. So I googled for some time and read around on sites. And I came up with this.

That I would add the following to rc.local

ifconfig wlan0 down
macchanger -a wlan0
ifconfig wlan0 up

Now, this was a success at first I thought, since it actually changed the MAC when I started the computer. The problem was that now I couldn't even connect to the school network, or even find a signal, it would just stay on 0% signal strength when I was like 5 meters from the antenna.

Anyway, that's about it for my questions =) if anyone has answers then I would be happy to receive them ;)
Last edited by ayu on 05 Nov 2007, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I have found the answer myself ^^

1: The administrator mentioned "you are not member of the domain", which was pretty stupid of him. I'm going to start collect MAC addresses tomorrow from authenticated computers ^^

2: Apparently the OS sets the WLAN0 connected to the original address at start, and if I change the MAC after that, it looses that connection and the address becomes invalid.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

nice to see how your Linux skills improve man.... :)