Saving kernel changes

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Saving kernel changes

Post by isapiens »

hey peeps.

So i am running slackware 12.0 right now.
I am trying to get my wireless working.
In order to do that i have to disable several configurations in the kernel.
Here is the page where it says exactly what i have to do (under '5. KERNEL REQUIREMENTS - Configuration')
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/INSTALL

SO basically i have to put 0's instead of 1's. But anyway, i have never done this before. Whats the easy way to change stuff in kernel and how. From what i understand you have to recompile the kernel afterwards. I also noticed commands like menuconfig and xconfig, but i am not sure how to use them.

quick tut for me would be nice or a nice link
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I have not bashed around the kernel myself, and quite frankly I do not feel I am at the level yet where I feel comfortable. I suggest that if you DO mess around with your kernel, that you do a complete backup of all your important data - because I am quite sure that you can mess up your install otherwise.

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

no worries on that part. Everything important is on windows and already backed up. I am purely running linux right now, so i dont care if i mess it up at all
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

here's a quick howto:
http://www.linuxelectrons.com/features/ ... pile-howto
when reaching the menuconfig point a GUI will enable you to do changes, like loaded modules, etc...

but what about installing a 2nd kernel instead of recompiling the working one? the procedure (compiling and installing) is the same and if it fails you still have the 1st kernel left to boot into.
on my Debian system I had already 4 kernels installed at the same time... :)