i messed up..

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
nightkid
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

i messed up..

Post by nightkid »

i installed ultimate ubuntu on my desktop, i had 2 take my nvidia card out cause the screen was staticy and ish. a prompt came up to install videocards, being half asleep and medicated for wisdom teeth pain, i popped my card in with the pc off, but still plugged in. after i put it in, it goes through the hp blue screen, then a quick ubuntu copyright line...after that, a blank screen with a cruser beeping. popped in disk kill, cleaned the hd. but now nothing will install checked all my cables. idk what is wrong..it will turn on and can choose the form of booting but i cant get anything going...anyone have suggestion of what might need replaced or a solution? this pc is more of my "super" main PC and i really miss it.

thanks.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

Well your first mistake was taking out your Nvidia card in the first place, what you had to do was simply troubleshoot the issues surrounding the card with Ubuntu, Nvidia drivers are considered restricted drivers, it doesnt mean that they are restricted from use, it just means that the manufacture doesnt fully support Linux operating systems for its drivers yet, the community makes them operable for Linux.

Your second mistake was installing hardware with the PC power on, big boo boo, you could of completely crashed or shorted out hardware on your main board or even ruined your graphics card. If your having problems with this the only advice i can really give you is to try troubleshooting your hardware.

First check your BIOS settings, usually you get to your BIOS/CMOS at the start of bootstrapping by pressing F1 or another button depending on its manufacturer. I assume you know this, but its just to check that all your currently installed default hardware that is essential is being recognized correctly by the computer.

Another idea would be to attempt to run a Linux Live CD, watch the bootstrapping if you can, and attempt to identify any hardware errors you may receive during or after boot.

Check your hardware settings, is your harddrive jumpers set correctly, attempt to use the CS jumper setting on your harddrive if its set on master. If you have more than one drive, try eliminating the others, and interchanging as necessary.

If you have another computer, or a friend who has a computer willing to help you, simply interchange hardware with another computer to see if any of them are faulty.

thats about all i can think of at the moment, good luck