how does wine actually work?

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

how does wine actually work?

Post by visser »

ok so recently ive switched to linux and ive been using wine to get my programs like adobe photoshop and steam to run. However whenever i try to play Garrys Mod (its a game from steam) it always shows up as boxes of black text taht i cant read in any way. not only taht but it wont even start up correctly. so ive looked around and have found little to nothing as far as this goes. so, how the heck do i go about solving a problem like this? how does wine work exactly? could i just copy the windows folder over to wine from my xp partition, lol. i need something to go off of. please help! any sort of idea or lead would be great. hopefully we can get something going here. thanks for the help in advance tho

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Well regarding the "how does it work" question, wikipedia has some very info about that =)

Find that HERE

Regarding your issue i found

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=5217

You can also check out http://www.winehq.org/
Last edited by ayu on 30 Apr 2008, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

For games I use windows. I have a box with windows for games and a box with linux for every thing else.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

visser

Post by visser »

yea. thats always nice to have. lol. to bad for me all i really have is a laptop and a couple of computers that were giving to me cuz people got new ones or they were broken and they got new ones. aka except for my laptop my computers are older than your mom. lol jp jp. but seriously. they are old.

i tried to update wine to the version that they recorded it working on and such. and no luck. so. idk. i think i will just stick to counter strike source. lol im not giving up totally tho :P
thanks tho cats, i did learn how to update my stuff :) so it wasnt all a loss!
i still have nothing that is really helping me.........

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Have you tried with deleting the .wine folder and then reinstalling everything?

delete /home/username/.wine

and then reinstall the game

Or you can try with Cedega which is based on wine, but it's made only for games.

Note: removing the .wine folder will remove all your installed wine programs, when you run wine after you have deleted it, it will automatically create a new folder, but without the programs.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

visser

Post by visser »

yea ive got css working at least. that will do for now. i cant delete my folder at the moment. its a month before school ends and i havent done anything in web design. ive been building websites all year for actual people and my web teacher wants me to do a "project" because the other 4 websites don't "count" :roll: and dream weaver is handy to have! lol plus photo shop makes some sweet banners lol