Installing opensuse 10.3 internet problem

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
fearofloathing

Installing opensuse 10.3 internet problem

Post by fearofloathing »

Ok so I decided to uninstall my Old OpenSuse 10.2 and upgrade to 10.3, Once installation was complete I booted up Suse in Gnome desktop enviro... Everything seemed to be working fine. Then I tried accessing the internet... It failed... I figured it must have been a bug in 10.3 that I needed to fix... I then switched onto my windows OS so I could search google for an answer... No connection... I tried renewing my IP address and I had no luck with that.... Im now without internet at home.... I've tried googleing my problem from the library with no success... Seems there are a few other people with a similar problem but have not found a solution yet.... Any help will be apreciated.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Moved to Linux/Unix

What, so you are dual booting windows and Suse? and lost connection in both? =/

Sounds more like a hardware issue in the comp (or something else) then an issue with the software :S
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Shimo
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Shimo »

I'm thinking it changes somthing in his modem some how....
[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/xblric9000000/ShimoSignature.jpg[/img]

fearofloathing

Post by fearofloathing »

Yeah I have told you about this already haven't I? well I do have two ethernet cards in the back of my comp and niether are working.

"edit"
And yes I am dual booting.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Tried with using the default card in Windows and then simply do a ipconfig /renew ?

Checked the device manager for signs of issues? or maybe the event log?

fearofloathing

Post by fearofloathing »

yup just says cannot renew ip ask your administrator... I've attempted renewing it on both my cards. Even tried unplugging my modem overnight..

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Do you have more then one computer ?

fearofloathing

Post by fearofloathing »

Yeah but the other ones my sons and hes camping with his buddies and I don't got the pass.... And the last time I hacked it he got really upset lol.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

ah, so you have a router then?

1: Does the activity lamp on any of your card flash when the comp is on and trying to get an IP?

2: If you just turn his computer on (without logging in) does his activity lamp flash?

fearofloathing

Post by fearofloathing »

It does flash for me but Ive also tried connecting strait to the modem and trying this all...

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

well dont hack it, just boot it up press f8 and start in safe mode then set up another administrator account and try from there. I also suggest finding the reset button on the router and running through the settings again. If windows isn't boot as well as linux this defo looks more like a hardware problem. :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

fearofloathing wrote:It does flash for me but Ive also tried connecting strait to the modem and trying this all...
ah ok, so just so that I have gotten this straight

1: When you connect directly with the modem, you get no IP

2: And you don't get an IP with the router either

Correct?

And you got this issue directly after you had updated OpenSuse? =/

hum hum..... tricky :p Tried with only using one card? as in take out the other one? (also you might want to try a Linux live CD before you go over to the hardware)

fearofloathing

Post by fearofloathing »

I'll try that when i get home... Right now Im at the library..... I'll make a copy of all the text on my flash drive and take it home for reference... Thank you... You'll Probbaly hear from me again tomorrow.. Im going to head down to the bike paths and go for a walk..