alternative desktop

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

alternative desktop

Post by visser »

Hey all. i was curious the other day. Im running ubuntu server and to set up the default gnome server i have to type:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
thats all well and dandy but its a server.
i dont want a desktop that i can view files and all this other stuff. ive just found that it would be handy to have a desktop that allows me to scroll up and down... lol
perhaps even run multiple terminals?

is there an alternative desktop that will take up almost no ram and allow me to do these things? i dont need it, just wanna have it to have it. lol

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I like xfce..it's a pretty basic windows environment, but also can be readily and heavily modified to meet your needs.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I'm assuming you installed Ubuntu server edition. Before you install a desktop environment, can you switch terminals already? I have no experience wint Ubuntu server edition (it never worked right for me), but I know in Debian's server mode you can change between terminals using the F1 through F5 keys. Anything in the documentation about that or are you looking for something like Big-E said and want one where you can see all terminals at once?

G-Brain

Post by G-Brain »

Ctrl+Alt and the F keys switches TTY's. For more terminals on one screen, use the aptly named "screen" program. To scroll, pipe output to a pager like "more" or "less".
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you

visser

Post by visser »

i was more looking for something that would allow me to scroll.... for those of you using a terminal on linux type in some sort of command that will get you a lot of info going at once. EG:

Code: Select all

apt-get --help
now notice how not all of the text fits onto the view of the terminal. so you have to scroll up to see some of it. i want to be able to scroll up....

thanks for the help tho guys. it did give me a further insight into what i can actually do with meh server lol

G-Brain

Post by G-Brain »

visser wrote:i was more looking for something that would allow me to scroll.... for those of you using a terminal on linux type in some sort of command that will get you a lot of info going at once. EG:

apt-get --help
now notice how not all of the text fits onto the view of the terminal. so you have to scroll up to see some of it. i want to be able to scroll up....
Like I said, pipe output to a pager. Like this:

apt-get --help | less
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you

visser

Post by visser »

awesome gbrain! thats like perfect! thanks a bunch dude

G-Brain