Dualboot - windows/ubuntu - HDs and installation question.

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Uner
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Dualboot - windows/ubuntu - HDs and installation question.

Post by Uner »

I have 2 HDDs (320gb - the one that holds Windows atm, 1 partition / 80gb - back-up HDD that is half empty, 1 partition), and I'm willing to dual boot with Windows/Ubuntu. So.. I have a few questions...
- On which HDD to install Ubuntu?
- Do I need to resize my 320gb HDD if I decide to dual boot? Even if I install ubuntu on the 80gb hdd?
Those are my questions... for now.
Thanks in advance.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I would probuly completely wipe the drive, install windows, and then ubuntu. it will then automatically give you a boot menu to pick which OS you want to use when you start your PC. When setting up your partitions you will have the option of how many you want to set up and how much space each one will be. so you could have drive x: 100gb, drive y: 100gb: drive z: 80 gb , drive g: 120gb ect.. maybe if you want to set one partition for just FTP or whatever, it depends on what you want to do, but if you install windows first then ubuntu they will share files with each other on NTFS file styem type and you will see all your windows files in ubuntu and vice versa, it will automatically allocate the space, thats why i love ubuntu as a beginner linux OS, its a easy transition for windows users

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

the easiest option is to use the 80 GB one, simply create an emtpy unformated partition on it (or move your backups to the 320 GB one and delete the whole partition on the 80 GB one). no need to resize the 320 GB one, only the boot loader will be replaced by the one from Ubuntu because it have to be on the 1st HDD... :wink: