Grub menu is gone after partition edit

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Grub menu is gone after partition edit

Post by Still_Learning »

ok.. i bought world of warcraft and it was not working well with wine .. well the downloaded one worked but when i actully bought the dvd the combo set with burning crusade package i could not get it to install on wine. the file was .mpq or .mpx or some weird compression type of file. .. anyways..

I put in my ubuntu live disc, and used g-parted for create a 40 gb partition to install windows and have it dual boot both ubuntu and windows .. (windows also needed for photoshop, dreamweaver and some other music production stuff)

Now the grub menu seems to have dissappered and it just boots to windows. I remember last time I installed windows first, then ubuntu and it worked great with dual boot, but installing ubuntu first and then windows gave me this error.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this, or am i just going to have to format my linux partitions and reinstall ubuntu so the dual boot works?
thanks in advance

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

What if you boot from the ubuntu boot disk and try to go in the rescue mode?
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

the windows bootlader simply has overwritten Grub and you need to reinstall it to the MBR again.
there are different methods (simply google for "reinstall Grub"), but the easiest one is using the "Super Grub Disk":
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/index.php

:wink:

rob33n
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by rob33n »

and you also use this link.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Mul ... -GRUB.html

here is my menu.lst. (you can add or change your menu.lst like mine)
http://www.kad1r.com/Soft/menu.txt

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

will do tommarow.. ouch my finger tips are all hurting on one hand, touched exhaust pipe of 64 cobra shelby mustang .. still burning ahhhhh, what a stupid thing to do lol oh well

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Have not tried the ubuntu live disc yet but that is a good idea. I think I will uses the link B-B supplied so i can possibly learn more about the boot process. Thanks guys!

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

itzm3 wrote:will do tommarow.. ouch my finger tips are all hurting on one hand, touched exhaust pipe of 64 cobra shelby mustang .. still burning ahhhhh, what a stupid thing to do lol oh well
not recommended....kids, don't try this at home :lol:

Don't double post, if yours is the last post and the thread is still new then please edit the last one!

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

computathug wrote:
itzm3 wrote:will do tommarow.. ouch my finger tips are all hurting on one hand, touched exhaust pipe of 64 cobra shelby mustang .. still burning ahhhhh, what a stupid thing to do lol oh well
not recommended....kids, don't try this at home :lol:

Don't double post, if yours is the last post and the thread is still new then please edit the last one!
I popped the blister on my thumb and am ok now lol

sometimes i just do stupid things for no reason,not trying to double post, or get some kind or special post count number in the process, post count is not my thing, i would rather have 100 acounts with 1 post each then 1 with 100 posts, i promise you, i am not trying ot abuse the system, if any of the above as directed towards me