Fedora 10?

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Fedora 10?

Post by floodhound2 »

Any one run Fedora?

I am in the process of downloading version 10 and wanted to open a discussion regarding the version of Linux.

Some Pro's and Con's form more seasoned Linux users will be greatly abreacted

Thanks

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I've tested Fedora 6 once, because the first distro I really used (not just looked at and don't know what to do with it :lol: ) was Red Hat 9, and when the support for the non-enterprise RH versions was stopped I thought it's best to test the "successor" (Fedora it's not really the successor of Red Hat, but the have the same root). but well, at the end I got into Debian.

just curious, are in Fedora 10 "templates" available during install like on Debian? I mean like choosing what kind of system you want to install, web server, desktop system or mail server for example..... :-k

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

bad_brain wrote:just curious, are in Fedora 10 "templates" available during install like on Debian? I mean like choosing what kind of system you want to install, web server, desktop system or mail server for example..... :-k
Well I cant speak of Fedor 10 but my version allows you to install as you describe. I think I have core 4. Hum.. My downlaod is done so ill soon let you know about Core 9.0.

Core 10 is scheduled to be released in 10 days from now.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ah, ok...I simply didn't remember anymore because it's been a long time since I tried Fedora, and this feature is for me a big point to label a distro "beginner friendly" or not. thanks for keeping me up to date, Fedora might be a good alternative distro for beginners besides the usual Ubuntu-recommendations.... :)

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

I run Ubuntu and love it ,it also has great IRC support

it is also easy to build a dual boot win XP and ubuntu system, since there is alot of apps i use like photoshop, nuendo, dreamweaver, MS office, ect.. which you cant run in ubuntu unless you use wine or have a virtual box set up, i prefer not to run a virutal box at the moment because the processing power it takes when i am recording music and such in windows.. would rather not have 2 OS's running at once

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Well I tried to run Fedora 24/7 so that I could do torrents but my Ktorrent kept crashing. Later I went on suse and I am still using it! :D Suse runs well if you want to run it 24/7. So far I have not experienced any crashes by the OS and Ktorrent runs well on suse.

Fedora was one of the first distors that I really liked. Before that I used mandriva, ubuntu but it was Fedora that I liked the best. I do not think that I would go back to using it. It is not that stable and many times I hear on IRC people saying that it is not a good distro. I can agree with that.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well Fedora 10 is out today and I am getting a copy. Thanks fellers for the heads up. I am excited to remove Windows from my home computer. Ill still have to stay fluent in it, but looking forward to the new.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

So far I am pleased. This is got to be the most complete version of Linux I have ever ran. It came with surprisingly all the drivers for my pumped up 64 bit dual core, including my wireless network adapter.

Just sharing the info :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

is all RAM supported out of the box? I ran into some problems with some of the last Linux kernels that only supported 896MB.... :-k

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I remember when I used Fedora exectuables from windows would run on it just by double clicking. It does not mean that they worked but with other linux distirbutions I know that running an executable in linux is a bit more complex!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal