my new home server :D

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

my new home server :D

Post by bad_brain »

finally I am done with setting up my new home server...this time a triple OS system:

setting up GRUB properly took a little work because FreeBSD is on an extra HDD andbut the syntax is just a little different from linux ((hd1,0,a) instead of (hd1,0)). it is also a good idea to install the newer Debian version after the older one because the newer versions (starting with Etch) are using SCSI drivers even for IDE disks, and so the GRUB entry generated by the older version would be wrong for the newer one (the old versions use hdx instead of sdx for the partition labels which is not working for the newer versions).

:)

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Nice, I suppose you are not running virtual machines on top of one main distribution due to resources?

Anyway, I plan on doing something similar when I have time - I am going to install either VMWare or Xen on my system and virtualize a couple operating systems. Keep a few images always around and clean, that way I can maintain my main distribution that the virutalization software runs on top, and use all the rest for testing purposes - when all is said and done, I can just re-image in a matter of minutes.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yep, no virtualization, all OSs are "normally" installed.
maybe you also want to test DesktopBSD, it's pretty nice from what I have seen so far...only updating takes a little long because the packages are downloaded, extracted and installed one by one (and not all downloaded first, then extracted and installed like on Debian for example)...but the OS install worked out of the box (nvidia driver in included):
http://www.desktopbsd.net/

:wink: