SSH tunnel/forwarding

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ayu
Staff
Staff

SSH tunnel/forwarding

Post by ayu »

I have done it before, and tried it on my school, but for some reason I couldn't make it work =/

Can someone help me with tunneling SSH? I need to create a tunnel (or simply forwarding) that I can use to forward a port on my school, to another server, like I connect to SSH that is listening on port 2000 on localhost, and it connects to SSH on my school server which then redirects it to a random server, like a webserver or maybe an IRC server.

The idea is to use the schools server to reach the net when my net is fucked up, which has been happening a lot recently, but I can get as far as to my school, and from the schools server I can access the net, but they don't have many tools that I can use.

Anyway, I'll read around a little, and edit the thread if I find a solution before anyone answers ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Is there a firewall blocking ports? Have you done a port scan to see what all ports are open? Is it possible to piggyback on known open ports? Just throwing some ideas out there.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I'm unsure of the network structure, since they have a pretty good eye on it. Port scanning will risk me getting banned automatically, and I got a warning just a few hours after I tried to login as root to use the ports under 1024 : /

But, I'll research some more, thanks :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

gEEEk
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by gEEEk »

The thing is, most schools tend to block out all traffic besides from HTTP and a few others..

You could try setting your listening port on the SSH server to 443 or 80.

Make sure you've port forwarded as well..

Good luck!