debian 5.1 surround sound

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

debian 5.1 surround sound

Post by computathug »

Is there a quick way to enable my sound system to play through all 5 speakers instead of just 2.

Probably something stupid i missed :D

I am running lenny with xfce and compiz fusion and everything is running really smooth. I knackered up my xorg.conf yesterday after all was perfect by running the xorg config but evrything was good again after using cp to use the saved config and a quick reboot.

Thanks for any help guys!

Im feeling more and more gay every day saying

'I love lenny' :XD

uid0
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by uid0 »

Unless I'm mistaken, enabling surround and related channels just need to be activated through alsamixer, but, if that isn't the case, you could try playing with settings in the .asoundrc file, you can find some examples at http://alsa.opensrc.org/SurroundSound

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Thanks uid0 for the link.

I will take a better look in a while and see if i can get it working :wink:

uid0

Post by uid0 »

Ok, let me know how it goes ;)

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Not sure what i did but after a bit of research downloaded a few players. Seems there maybe still a few bugs but depending on what i am playing and through which player i am using depends on how many speakers work :?

A list of media players installed....

Amarok
Audacious
Audi CD extractor
Gnomebaker CD/DVD Writer
Gxine
Movie Player
M Player
Real Player 10
Rhythmbox
Sound Recorder
Streamtuner
Vlcplayer
Xfmedia

Its just a case of now knowing which plays which type of file :D

uid0

Post by uid0 »

To me that sounds more like compilation options used by package managers to create the players.

Debian by default (someone might correct me on this since I don't use debian in a while), isn't actually media support oriented, meaning that when it comes to media packages, most of them are created using very "common" options regarding media supported types by the different players

So, lets suppose that mplayer is compiled without aac support, a video that uses that as encoded sound will be watchable but unable to output sound

My point is that, the common set used to compile most players aren't always useful because encoding its very rich in this days, and the fact that you're telling that channels are used based on the player and media type, to me sound like lack of support to decoding some audio formats during package creation

I might be wrong, it's also possible that the player core doesn't support surround at all, but what I'm sure of is that isn't a problem in alsa/jack/pulseaudio/esound or whatever you use and also there's nothing wrong with your current channels configuration