kubuntu advise

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

kubuntu advise

Post by DrVirus »

Hey guys need your help again. You see I am a windows user. I was always afraid of linux before last couple of days and never even touched it. But after being greatly inspired by some of the posts here I am considering about starting to learn linux. So I thought about using kubuntu first to begin with it. But the thing is I don't have much of an idea about any of the linux os.
I just know that kubuntu is a derivative from Ubuntu and it's supposed to be easy to use (they called it linux for human. no offence. just means that you guys are the super geniuses) And I happen to posses a live dvd of it.
So help me out here. Should I use it ? If I should then is there any ebooks or articles I should read first or should I just dive in head first. Any and all help is appriciated. Just remember I am a complete n00b and a first time user.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Well everyone has there own ersonal preference as you have seen.

I did as you are suggesting and dived deep head first and it gets easier and easier and even if using linux just for the experience then i am all for it, its all a learning curve. I reccomend using debian. Its not as hard as you are thinking and its just a case of getting used to using the command line for a lot of things but it also has other advantages too.....Everything is free :lol:

It is not as bad as you may think it is. If you have 2 computers i dont mind helping you run through it while you get it installed on the other.

Good luck :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, for a total Linux beginner it's always the best to set it up on a 2nd computer...if you have only one the best is to set up a dual OS system. you can resize a partition so you have 10 GB space for Linux to install on. Ubuntu and its derivates are usually very easy to install, but it's always good to backup important data from the Windows system first (you never know, better a wasted blank CD than lost data).

I don't recommend to install Linux as only OS right now, because the step from XP to Linux is usually too big at the first time, you will need time to get familiar with it first.

so go for it and have fun.... :D

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Okay then. I will run the Kubuntu in my lappy. Now I am counting on both of you and whoever else is interested to help me out with it. Keep your word in mind c-thug