File System help

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
sherlock
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

File System help

Post by sherlock »

Hey I installed a new 1 tb hard drive to my linux box which is runnin debian. I followed this tutorial on some site but it didnt really work out.. Now i am stuck and i cannot even partiton it over again with cfdisk..

But first of all i have a question

Should i jsut use ext3? or ntfs? which one is better as i will use this hard drive to share media in the house like movies avi, mpg, mp3.. I have ntfs-3g installed already..

Any help will be appreciated :) .. A nice little tutorial will be even better if explained clearly lol

thanks

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, try gparted to edit the partitions, if it's not installed already you can get it in the Debian repositories... :wink:

and well, using a NTFS partition to share is the easiest way when using ntfs-3g....but the NTFS support is not 100% yet, so you can't really delete files (if you do they are stored in an extra recycle bin).
of course you could also share files through a web server for example...it's pretty easy to set up.. :)

sherlock

hey

Post by sherlock »

Thanks for the reply, Yeah i read somewhere else as well about the ntfs-3g that it hasn't been perfected so i used ext3 as the filesystem and it works like a beauty sharing all my media through my little network lol. My hard drive was put on lock after i partitioned it the first time but made a little mistake on the process. thats when i wrote the post in here but when i restarted the computer and did the partitioning all over again.. it worked just fine..

Thanks B_B for your help
You always reply to my silly posts :)

sherlock

Badbrain

Post by sherlock »

Hey Badbrain

Today i started my computer and during the boot .. This came up..

Code: Select all

Loading Kernel Modules...Done.
Checking file systems...fsck 1.41.3 (12-OCT-2008)
WARNING: bad format on line 11 /etc/fstab
/dev/hdc1 has been mounted 21 times without being checked, check forced.

it stops on 47%... I could cancel this but what is thisand how can i fix it..I heard it is something like the scandisk feature of windows or something..

[/quote]

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Post the file of fstab here. You can get to fstab with

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab/
From the warning this is where the error is too. Correct this and the check should then continue. :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com