Debian Squeeze Testing

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Debian Squeeze Testing

Post by computathug »

I have 4 computers running linux at the moment, 2 at home and 2 at the office. All were running Lenny until i decided to upgrade one of them to testing (Squeeze for those who dont know) and most of the things i have tried so far are working with no problems except one or two so i thought we could make a list of bugs and fixes for others who are trying the same....I know b_b will be one of them trying squeeze and hope there are a few others trying it too.

So far the sound worked out of the box with no problems where on the same box i had to download a few repo's to get it too work.

Firefox installed without any hitch but i am having a problem with the flashplayer. Java installed with no hitches too.

My nvidia card was a bitch at first to get 3d rendering working but finally managed it tonight after a few days of stress. Thought everything was all going too good for pleasantries until i tried to install compiz. Problem with broken package when trying to install via apt. I cant remember the error and im at home now but will update this tomorrow.

Thats all i can think of at the moment but will keep bumping this thread with the fixes when i have time in the office..... Yeah, and i typed all this from a windows PC :lol:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

what HDDs you use? IDE or SATA? the last time I've tried to install Squeeze (was 2 days after Lenny became "stable") it was impossible because my HDDs were not recognized at all (IDE ones)... :-k

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

The HDD I am using is a 80GB IDE Maxtor. I never installed from disc either as i just upgraded from Lenny. Everything seems to be running pretty stable too. I am going to install my server later this week when i get time :)

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

*bump*
Java is a bitch
Flash is a bigger bitch

il update when fixed :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hehe...don't worry, that's normal in the early stage of the testing branch. in Lenny the xserver for example crashed often at the beginning, so half the time there was no desktop.... :lol:
I haven't installed it yet, but now I have a spare HDD (finally got rid of all IDE drives in my new system, even the DVD burner is a SATA one), so I can use it on my server box....enough space for 2 new OSs, right now I have Sarge, Etch and Lenny installed, time to complete the Debian collection... :)

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Yeah i am having a lot of problems with the xserver too, i just seem to get it as i want it, try to get compiz working and it crashes out on me and i have to keep reverting to xorg.conf backup. Other than that the other people in the office just use it for A-Z route planners etc for the taxi fares so its not important as long as it does that. They have one running lenny too so if it goes down they are ok for emergencies.

Any way il keep plodding on and keep updating here :wink:

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Well seems i have go mistaken along the way. I had updated one system from etch to lenny and downloaded squeeze and installed on another. The IDE drives were recognized no problems but im still having problems with flash and java which il try to see if i can fix later this week in the office.

Any one else managed to install it and get things running ok please post here ;)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I still haven't installed it yet, I might skip that one....going through the Lenny development was fun enough, so I might take a break... :lol:
I wouldn't expect too much form Squeeze in such an early stage, will definitely take some months until it can be used as productive system... :wink:

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

hmmm, i might redo the system with lenny on it and install squeeze on the laptop which is in a thousand pieces at the moment. I hate quitting but i just think it be better if they had a stable OS running in the office and then i can do all the messing around from home.

Still i will try to update this thread at a later date :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, using the testing branch in such an early stage is definitely not a good choice for productive systems, after every update the xserver might not work anymore or other bugs appear.
when I started with Lenny I also had Sarge installed, so Lenny was just "for fun"...at least until it became stable enough.

so best install Lenny for the office systems, maybe a dual OS one with Lenny and Squeeze for you to have fun... :)