Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Linux General questions

Post by moudy »

hello every one, how are you ?
i wanted to ask few question...

1) Is there a single link that provides all the *nix distributions and the built in applications provided by these distributions ?

2) Every distribution has a particular job/task for it, for example back track 3 is specifically for auditing/testing networks; puppy linux is best for every day use... (correct me if I'm wrong). Is there a way to know exactly what each distribution is best for?

Thanks for the answers 8)
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I'd head over to DistroWatch for a list of popular and regularly updated linux distributions. Keep in mind that there is no authoritative list of distributions. Who knows who will build a LFS (Linux From Scratch) system that will blossom into a mainstream distribution.

Personally, I'd say no. There are distributions specifically designed (like you mentioned) for specific tasks, but, in general, there's really no specific task a distribution like Debian or highly malleable distribution like gentoo is designed. There are tasks that each distribution perform better than others. Take Debian for instance. Debian is renowned for it's stability as a server OS. Others are more adept at running newer hardware (Ubuntu) because of it's ability to accommodate proprietary software.

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

i also have a linux question.

is there something like a K-Lite Codec Package for Linux?

coz when i put linux in a machine that has no internet its a hassle to get it to play music and videos that uses codecs that are not open source.

or can someone post here a step-by-step how to install linux on a machine that has no internet connection?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

@moudy
2: Puppy Linux is more focused on providing a very slim OS for older hardware or (and that's what I use it for) for disaster management of MS systems...you can simply do a quick boot with it.
imo it's the best to get one of the big distros for the main system because they simply provide complete software packages. the specialized distros are a little overrated imo, to be honest I see no real use in Backtrack for example except using it as live distro for a quick job...there is nothing than can be done with it that can't also be done by a "regular" distro.
there are only a few specialized distros that are really useful imo, like the superlightweight ones (Puppy Linux, Damns Small Linux, Knoppix), or RIPLinux for file/disk management, or Helix for forensic issues.
so before getting into exotic distros I recommend to use one of the big distros like Debian or Ubuntu.

@Pong
there are codecs, but I am not aware of a package like the K-lite one.
if you are planning to use your Linux box to watch movies and listen to music a lot I recommend to get a distro that is not too strict about open source, a good example is Ubuntu....most codecs are already included there. but if you chose "strictly open source" distros like Debian you will have to install most of the codecs manually, they are not included because most codecs are not open source and therefore not included.
the only codecs that are generally problematic on Linux are the ones for .wmv and .wma, you will find no distro where those codecs are included, installing a wmv codec on a Linux box is even a "criminal act" because of copyright violations.... :roll:
but of course there are howtos on the net for installing such codecs, and the codecs itself are also not hard to get.
so if you want to get into Linux I would recommend Ubuntu to you, here's a install howto:
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index. ... all_Ubuntu
as you can see it's not harder than installing Windows.. :wink:

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

i use ubuntu. but its a hassle trying to play music and videos especially those proprietary formats. you have to do this and that. i wish there is a package like kLite on linux. maybe i'll try distro, thanks B_b!

skip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by skip »

moudy, hey you can check out wikipedia on comparison of Linux distros.This might help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... tributions

pong, you can download a .deb files, put it on a flash drive, plug it, and install it on a pc that has no net connection. You need libdvdcss2 to read dvd's and w32codecs for video formats that has no open source alternative. go to http://www.medibuntu.org and look for the packages section, or better yet get this. it has already got instructions inside. Its 63mb file size that contains most of the codecs you want.

Code: Select all

http://rapidshare.com/files/226569752/Ubuntu_Restricted__Extras_9.04_Offline_Installer.tar.gz
Image Image Image