what's the best Distro to begin with as a newbie ?

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
JohnB
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by JohnB »

I'd have to say Linux Mint which of course is based on ubuntu. I believe the transition from windows would be very easy given so much is already built in such as wireless drivers and mp3 support.
Sprich mit mir!

bozotheclown138

Post by bozotheclown138 »

you know i hear if you force yourself into a deeper one such as gentoo without any other OS's to use youll learn it much quicker than anyother way and i trust this because it came from a god of linux

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

leetnigga wrote:
Radar_mX wrote:yes , personal experience for about 3 years . I am not a beginner with linux I have used many distros but I am stick with Ubuntu , I face only few errors with Ubuntu and feel comfortable with
You do realize that that's completely nonsensical, right? Number of errors, really? What kind of errors are they anyway? If you can define that, what about their severity, how easy you can fix them? Who caused the error? Are you sure it's the distribution and not you? If you are sure about that, are you sure the error affects everybody? I'm still calling hasty generalization on this one.

Anyway, on topic I'd really go with PC-BSD. It's a great introduction to Unix.

It's so much easier to choose in the BSD world, too.
I was going to call that as I read the posts. It is unfuckingbelievable how often people allow themselves to make statements that they claim to be universal truths.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

"universal truth"?
he only talked about his personal experience like anyone else, I haven't seen anything like "it is the best because I say so, everyone else is wrong".
so stop to exaggerate and stay friendly.

r1n0z33n

Post by r1n0z33n »

i vote for ubuntu too..its easy.. then, because of it is in gnome environment, try other environment i.e kde, xfce. then , it'll help u a lot in learning other distros 8)

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

bad_brain wrote:"universal truth"?
he only talked about his personal experience like anyone else, I haven't seen anything like "it is the best because I say so, everyone else is wrong".
so stop to exaggerate and stay friendly.
Don't get me wrong, I would say Ubuntu as well, if not only for the gigantic community that probably has help documents for 99% of all models of laptops or certain pieces of hardware that might be annoying to get working.

However, saying "and because it has the fewest errors[full stop]" is making a statement, disguising it as a fact but refraining from actually providing any empirical evidence for its validity. On top of that, it's a very 'generic fact'. It's like saying "this type of food is better than another type of food" - better how?

I don't see how I wasn't friendly. I was just saying that I encountered people doing the same thing a lot. Either way, I don't have anything else to say on the matter.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, what looked pretty unfriendly (I don't say it was your intention) was the "nonsense" part... :wink:
you always have to keep in mind most people here are not native english speakers, some are able to express themselves in english really good, others not THAT good. "errors" are most likely meant in a "stumbled over problems while doing..." way, and not in a "links to libraries were wrong and so I couldn't start software that was packed with the distro" way.

and even if he really meant "real" errors:
be honest, do you still remember all the real errors you had to deal with when working with Linux? :wink: I think you do it like anyone else and fix an error when you experience one, and then you are simply happy you have figured it out and move along. I am using Debian since the initial release of Sarge for example, and I have experienced a decent amount of real errors already (like "missing dependency" loops), but I also have no idea anymore what exactly the problems were and how I fixed them...I was also simply happy when I figured it out and didn't felt like writing it up in my diary...:lol:
after all we are all just humans, and no matter what we say: it's always at least partially subjective.... :wink: