[How-To][Gnome] removing desktop default icons

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ayu
Staff
Staff

[How-To][Gnome] removing desktop default icons

Post by ayu »

I like having a nice wallpaper on my desktop, maybe some useful gadgets on the panels and stuff. But that's about it, I would not use Gnome if it wasn't because of those reasons.

Thing is though, I hate having a bunch of useless icons on the desktop, especially "computer, trash" and others. So I finally found where to disable them in an easy way.

This is the GUI method, go to Applications -> System tools -> Configuration Editor (or where ever you have your conf editor, or type gconf-editor in a terminal), then do as following.

Code: Select all

apps -> nautilus -> desktop:
computer_icon_visible unchecked
home_icon_visible unchecked
trash_icon_visible unchecked
The shell method using the normal tool

To show the information stored, type this in a Terminal (use gconftool-1 for Gnome 1.x)

gconftool-2 -R /apps/nautilus/desktop
And then to remove the trash can on the desktop you can type

gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/nautilus/desktop/trash_icon_visible false
Info on GConf:

http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/
Personally I found this very useful : )
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Nice one Cats!

Will be backing everything up and installing debian again this week soon as i get some time :D
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

computathug wrote: Will be backing everything up and installing debian again this week soon as i get some time :D
Sounds like a wonderful idea man! :D

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

Nice tip. Now all you need to remove is those panels, window decorations and gadgets :P

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

leetnigga wrote:Nice tip. Now all you need to remove is those panels, window decorations and gadgets :P

Naaah, I kinda like them ; )

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

good one cats... :)

and yeah, on my Lenny system I also like it funky by using compiz, emerald theme manager and customized icons.... :o imo a desktop system has to be a little entertaining and shiny, on a server system facts are all that matter and there is no use for funkyness (hm, well, a permanent server load of less than 0.20 IS kinda funky nonetheless ^^ ).

on a desktop system such gimmicks even support the learning process imo, because if something fails (and that is not too rare) you have to figure it out in a shell anyway.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:good one cats... :)

and yeah, on my Lenny system I also like it funky by using compiz, emerald theme manager and customized icons.... :o imo a desktop system has to be a little entertaining and shiny, on a server system facts are all that matter and there is no use for funkyness (hm, well, a permanent server load of less than 0.20 IS kinda funky nonetheless ^^ ).

on a desktop system such gimmicks even support the learning process imo, because if something fails (and that is not too rare) you have to figure it out in a shell anyway.
Agreed : )