Ubuntu 9.10 AKA karmic koala

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

IceDane wrote: So, what you are trying to say is that Ubuntu is not a member of the "Linux distributions" category? Linux is still Linux.
Well we are talking about something more specific. We are talking about Ubuntu 9.10. That's like talking about "cars" in a thread that's about "BMW Z8". A car is still a car, but that wouldn't satisfy the people wanting to know the specific attributes of the BMW Z8 ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

IceDane
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by IceDane »

cats wrote:
IceDane wrote: So, what you are trying to say is that Ubuntu is not a member of the "Linux distributions" category? Linux is still Linux.
Well we are talking about something more specific. We are talking about Ubuntu 9.10. That's like talking about "cars" in a thread that's about "BMW Z8". A car is still a car, but that wouldn't satisfy the people wanting to know the specific attributes of the BMW Z8 ^^
That analogy applies to some extent, but it is still flawed. You don't rip your Z8 pieces, change the engine, the tires, the transmission, the steering wheel, the interior, and everything else you can think of, with ease. Obviously, if you could, you could buy the Z8 with a good conscience even if you knew it had certain attributes that would make it less attractive. You could simply replace and/or modify whatever was wrong.

A Z8 is a specific model. If you pick 100 random cars off of the street, it is unlikely you will find a car that has an engine from the same manufacturer, and it is even less likely that those engines would be of the same make.

If you want to use cars as analogy in this debate, all cars would have to be using the same type of engines, tires, transmission and so on, and each owner would only have tweaked it a tiny little bit to his liking. They would all have to come with a standard set of accessories as well, and you would have to be able to choose which ones you want.

That way, there would be no bad cars. Just "better configurations" or "combinations of tweaks/accessories."

All Linux distributions use the same kernel from the same people. Those kernels might be modified a tiny bit by the makers of the distributions, but those modifications are probably just build configurations. It is very unlikely that they actually modify the source code themselves.
What comes on top of the kernel is almost irrelevant. The name "Linux" is not the name for the OS, but the kernel, which, well, is the OS.

If you don't understand where I'm coming from after this post, well, then I don't think there's much point to this discussion, and I think I'll sit out. God damn swedes, driving into my country to buy cheap beer and arguing with me on my internets. I am not pleased.

(PS: My argument is still serious. I'm just trying to make it clear that this isn't supposed to sound inflammatory or anything in that direction.)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

@IceDance: It was just an example, most times when you use an example like that, you can say that it's flawed to some extent. It seems to me that you are simply taking it apart to get the last word.

Let's just stop and return to the topic, if you want to discuss Linux in general then create a new topic.

Let's stick to Ubuntu 9.10 =)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Saying Ubuntu 9.10 is slower than the previous version that runs an older KDE/Gnome or something, is likes saying that Windows Vista SP1 running Call of Duty 4 1.5 is slower than Windows Vista running Call of Duty 1.0. There are two unknowns.
still changes nothing about the fact that one version is still slower/faster than the other.....it's a matter of user experience, not a matter of customization or program/kernel version effects. else all benchmarks ever done by anyone on anything would be useless because you can never reach the ultimate context, the variables are endless ("how was the air humidity when you did that benchmark?").... :wink:

and um, as someone that has finished a 3 1/2 year apprenticeship as car mechanic (Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche) I see it as my duty to correct you a little on this one:
If you pick 100 random cars off of the street, it is unlikely you will find a car that has an engine from the same manufacturer, and it is even less likely that those engines would be of the same make.
it is even VERY likely. there are not many automakers that really also build their own engines, simply because the development is too expensive. in all japanese and korean cars for example (no matter what brand) the engine will be either from Toyota, or from Nissan, or from Honda. Renault, Peugeot, Citroen: same engines. Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo: same engines. Volkswagen, Seat: same engines. of course the different automakers use some different attachment parts to make the engines look like their own ones, but that is the equivalent to using CD cases with different colors for the same Linux distro.

and now back to the topic, which is the new Ubuntu version and how users like it.... :P