Sprint U727 USB modem

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Sprint U727 USB modem

Post by lilrofl »

A friend of mine called me having trouble getting her sprint modem to work with Linux... and after I got her to try Linux in the first place I felt it was my job to find a solution, which I will post here in case the same problem arises with one of us.

PROBLEM:
"I can't get my modem to work, are you sure Linux is better then windows?" " The sprint guy is very unhelpful, and says it should work out of the box... cause that's what the manual says."

ALLEGED SOLUTION:
Sprint tells you to use the usbserial module and give it the specific vendor and product codes for the devices as options in order to tie it to usbserial; something like modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1410 product=0x4010. This is bogus in the first place as the product code for the newer versions of the U727 has changed to 0x5100. But even then, while it might work (depending on how your Linux distribution is set up) it limits your data rate to about 500kbit/s – Sprint even documents that limitation... which is weird I thought.

If you keep looking, you’ll find several posts online that instead suggest to patch the AirPrime driver in the Linux kernel – only that one was removed in 2.6.26. So with a current Linux distribution neither of these solutions really works.

SOLUTION:
It's so simple it's stoopid...
unplug your modem from the USB port.
From su run modprobe option
Insert modem into the USB port
Wait about a minute, and access your new modem from the network manager.

It's not everyday you get to help a friend and bring the school bus to the telecommunications industry in the process... all in all I'd say productive :)
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

interesting usb modem, it has a flip up 'box' antenna to help with reception (does it really?)
http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2121/64/

I have a 2.5foot 'Y' extension cable - from antenna to laptop, it keeps the modem away from you (possible high RF) and you can move it where it works best. The 'Y' is two USB plugs to give more power to the USB modem, it might work with your usb modem.

also, your modem has a jack for an external antenna -
$39.95
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I have no idea if that little box helps with reception, I'll giver her a call and walk her through finding out... probably not till tomorrow though it's getting past the point where Is should have been packed up lol.

Ah the interwebs... distracting people from obligation since 1969 (ARPANET look it up if you don't believe me)

:wink:
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]