back track 4

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

back track 4

Post by Kirk »

I just installed back track 4 on my lappy. If anyone has any suggestions for me they would be welcome. I'm looking to explore BT and learn it. I have the manual for it and a few videos but want to hear from you guys also.

3XTORTION
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by 3XTORTION »

I recommend "Offensive Security" training made by the creators of Backtrack themselves that teach you various techniques on how-to Pentest and Hack using Backtrack.

Of course it's not free but Rapidshare hosts an old copy(for Backtrack 2) but I think it would be enough to set you on the right track.

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

I'm looking into that also. I have the ebook of it for 4. If you could link me to any relevant information i would appreciate it. I think I can torrent the training for 4 also.

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

Well if you have the eBook of the latest version then the old training will be pretty much useless.

If you're able to torrent the latest version of the training that would be much better because it gives you a hands-on about the various methods explained in the eBook.But I really doubt that it could be available for download.

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

I'm not able to get my lappy on line with BT. I have called my ISP and it is on my end. I imagine I have to configure my lappy manually. Any ideas on what I should do?

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

How are you normally connected to your ISP ?

Is your connection wireless, and if so what kind of wifi card are you using.

Also can you connect to the internet in another OS or with another computer.
Last edited by 3XTORTION on 13 Dec 2009, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Topic moved to the Linux section ;)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

what connection are you using? wired or wireless?
what laptop is it (brand/model)?

diablo69

Ya @ old copy

Post by diablo69 »

Seems I can only find the old copy as well. But either way I have a good source of knowledge on the topic, but it doesn't hurt to have hands on again.[/code]

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

Kirk wrote:I'm not able to get my lappy on line with BT. I have called my ISP and it is on my end. I imagine I have to configure my lappy manually. Any ideas on what I should do?
wireless i assume? i had the same problem with my desktop..COULD NOT! find the driver for it without it being bundle into .exe (which now i think of it i could of de-compiled the .exe & found it)
-----------
find out what the chipset is in your lappy, easiest way i found is look in your hardware at your wireless card then google the make + "chipset" most likely broadcom..
download the driver for it if you can only find the .exe try my idea above and let me know if it worked ;) you just need 2 files, i forget the extensions off the top of my head .inf i think, pop them in a folder on your desktop
install ndiswrapper if it isnt installed and make sure it's updated.
------------
i'm not completely sure about the process once you install ndiswrapper, but thats as far as ive gotten on linux distros that didnt support my card on this PC and older laptops..once you do all that your basically done.
try googling "ndiswrapper wireless driver install" don't wanna go ahead and tell you something i'm not positive about.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

i will try these ideas as soon as i get back home. right now i am in colorado for christmas.

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

im currently in the same boat but with arch linux :lol:
the files you need to use ndiswrapper are .inf extension & .sys extension, the actual file name is probably different from card to card
if your card is reltek or broadcom, etc. just browse the chipset's site & they have them in .exe & tar extensions.
and it might help to call the maker of the wireless card to see if it's discontinued or not, if it is, not a big deal they just dont offer customer support but they still keep the drivers up on the site :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]