BT4 - Install to HD

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
sun7
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

BT4 - Install to HD

Post by sun7 »

Peace,

Can someone assist with information on installing operating systems onto a hard drive? I want to install BT4 and other Linux machines. I understand formatting hard drives pretty well and I can absolutely wipe all the information off. I am not good at getting the hard drive ready for a clean installation of Operating Systems with a CD.
Intelligence is born from the mind, Teaching and studying are ways of a civilized person.....

sun7
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by sun7 »

Peace p4inl0v3r,

I dont get a chance to partition in BT4. I get an empty list. I run the ubiquity installer and select a location and keyboard layout. When the "Prepare Partitions" list comes up, it is empty. I click forward to see what will happen next and get an error, "No root file system", "No root file system defined", "Please correct this from the partitioning menu".

I am stuck after this. If a format and partition of the hard drive is required b/c this is basically a clean install, how do i do that? Can BT4 do that also?

Appreciate the help
Sincerely,
sun7

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I've never installed BT4, so I have no idea if there is a guided partition tool....if not you will simply have to create the partitions manually.
don't worry, it's easy, you need 2 partitions:

- the root partition /
- and the swap space

so simply create a primary partition for / and a swap partition (for the latter one 2GB is enough).

if you want to go a little more professional you can add a /home partition, you user data will be stored there then.

:wink:

sun7
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by sun7 »

peace and thanks for the information.

I had to format my hard drive before this install. I still cant install with bt4 and what are the commands? I am searching for the commands but i am not getting success after i attempt. What commands do you recommend to format my hard drive the proper way so that my hard drive is ready for a bt4 install when complete? I want to get good at formatting my HD through linux bt4 and then start installing server operating systems.

I basically need to master formatting and installation of operating systems..
any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

peace,
sin7

sun7
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by sun7 »

the ubiquity installer does not recognize anything on my system.

i am using a windows xp cd to do an install and it said that the hard drive was not formatted properly and ran a format. i am waiting to see if windows xp will format my hard drive the proper way so that i can install bt4.

p4in,
in your 1st and 2nd paragraph you mentioned the partition manager. I am confused on what you are saying...

Is it a command to format the Hard drive with bt4 to get the system ready for BT4 installation?

sun7
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by sun7 »

Well I formatted the hard drive and i still could not install bt4 to HD. I had to do a complete install of XP and put BT4 on top of that. This is not what I wanted to do. I have so many questions about BT4 it is crazy.

Peace
sun7
Intelligence is born from the mind, Teaching and studying are ways of a civilized person.....

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, to format the HDD by using the XP CD is pointless because it uses NTFS as filesystem.
if you are overstrained by the BT4 HDD setup get the gparted live CD:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

boot it, delete every partition, create a primary partition / in ext3 format and a swap partition (2GB or so). when done BT4 should recognize everything and install out of the box... :wink:

hpprinter100
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by hpprinter100 »

I installed it fine, it's basically the same installer as ubuntu if i remember correctly, in grub it even says its ubuntu lol

i would recommend that u try installing another linux before messing about with BT4.

sun7
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by sun7 »

Peace everyone

p4in, you are right. i got it now. I had to do the whole install with XP and then I went back to check and windows isnt coming up at all. I just need to get my formatting and install skills up. This is only my second time installing a linux OS . Thanks for the help and swift replies.

bad_b, I am going to install that and I am going to see what happens. I was looking for that type of answer. "A tool I can run from CD to whipe my HDD or the proper commands to wipe my HDD with BT4. I'll let you know how it works when I download and test on my machines. Appreciate that.

pprinter, Thats great that your install worked fine for you. I dont use Ubuntu so I dont know whats the same and whats not. Im definately not going to change operating systems.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

BT4 has a install.sh file built in the GUI part which will install it for you to the HD.
Gone