Possibility of retrieving data

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
skip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Possibility of retrieving data

Post by skip »

I accidentally wiped my flash drive while reformatting my dying hard drive and making it a swap, I pulled the plug really fast as soon as i noticed my flash drive was still connnected but fkkkk that didnt help. I was thinking that i really messed it up because i didnt let it finish. I know that when you delete/remove/reformat a drive its not totally wiped out unless its overwritten, just like from BBs old thread about forensics. The files are not important tho, just a couple of css templates and some movies but the possibility of learning something new and being able to know that its possible makes me feel good. I tried using some live cd programs to at least see the drive and maybe able to retrieve the files in it but it doesnt help either. The ubuntu installer still see it as a swap. I havent tried anything lately and i dont have any harddrive to use right now coz she is dying and screaming for a replacement, now im waiting for the return of my other hard drive from a seagate replacement.

I have tried and used a certain "borrowed" program to extract deleted/removed files for ntfs on an internal drive, not on a removable one.

Any tips would be appreciated or a smack :lol:

tyvm! :)
Image Image Image

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

There are a few programs you can use for this, i have done the same thing before now. There are programs out there like Get Data Back which do the job very well.

here is a free tool you can try.
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

skip

Post by skip »

Actually ive managed to recover my files using testdisk on windows so you guys can move to windows section or something and it even shows and highlighted the trojan file. It doesnt automatically detect the deleted Fat partition but theres an option to locate the patition. And i just received the hard drive replacement earlier today.

Thanks c-thug, I'l give that a try since im still playing with testdisk.

Edit: I tried recuva and i guess its doesnt work for deleted partitions as it says unable to read boot sector.
Image Image Image