linux firewall

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

linux firewall

Post by l0ngb1t »

i'm looking for a good linux firewall(freeware)...
i need to install it on a small enterprise server, so i need it to be effective, and i thought to ask you guys if you have something that you recommend.

EDIT: what linux version you recommend to be installed for security servers ?
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: linux firewall

Post by ph0bYx »

Linux already has a firewall, iptables.

Try with this tutorial:
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxT ... teway.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

Is it going to be a dedicated firewall? What are you looking to achieve with the firewall? Is there an existing operating system installed on the server?

If not, the easiest thing to do would be to install a firewall distribution. I recommend pfSense which is FreeBSD based.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Devil Linux is also a nice firewall distro:
http://www.devil-linux.org/home/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

how is the firewall configured on pfSense? directly via netfilter or via iptables iface? not enough time to check the docs at the moment... :lol:

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

bad_brain wrote:how is the firewall configured on pfSense? directly via netfilter or via iptables iface? not enough time to check the docs at the moment... :lol:
It uses OpenBSD's pf. Knowing this, the name will make more sense :P
It has a web interface.

More screenshots are here: http://www.pfsense.org/screenshots/

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ah, ok, the names already shows the similarity: packetfilter for BSD and netfilter for Linux, and the web iface is like iptables then.

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

sorry for the delay in replaying.
anyway for now am thinking about installing redhat and using IPtable as firewall
it will be a dedicated firewall (installed on a small server)
it should protect the inside network from outside attacks, am aiming to use statefull packet filtering.
the server (is i can call it a server) have two NIC, one connected to the router and the other connected to an internal switch... so i'll be needing some help with the configuration
and i need the server to login automatically without need for authentication in case for some reason the server rebooted... (they have no one to enter the user name and the passowrd :lol: ) so it should reboot and comes operational by it self in case of power failure or something like that.

it's urgent :(
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

l0ngb1t wrote:so it should reboot and comes operational by it self in case of power failure or something like that.
l0ngb1t, better to say that every three hours there is a power failure :P
unless you have a power back up system !
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

l0ngb1t wrote:sorry for the delay in replaying.
anyway for now am thinking about installing redhat and using IPtable as firewall
it will be a dedicated firewall (installed on a small server)
it should protect the inside network from outside attacks, am aiming to use statefull packet filtering.
the server (is i can call it a server) have two NIC, one connected to the router and the other connected to an internal switch... so i'll be needing some help with the configuration
That sounds like the most general case. Any tutorial on the internet should suit you. Red Hat Documentation 44.8.2. Basic Firewall Configuration.
l0ngb1t wrote:and i need the server to login automatically without need for authentication in case for some reason the server rebooted... (they have no one to enter the user name and the passowrd :lol: ) so it should reboot and comes operational by it self in case of power failure or something like that.
That sounds unnecessary, insecure and wrong :P Servers should become operational without anyone having to log in. The boot process should start the relevant services. All (good) servers I know work that way.

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

does red hat work that way as well ? if it boots, the services should start up without loging n right ?
'cause as moudy said, their will be alot of power failure and i don't know if the backup power in that company is good enough to avoid a reboot :/

plus one last thing
i have 2 network cards, one will be connected to the router, and other to the main switch...
so the traffic pass in the server...
how do i do such configuration under linux redhat ? what are the commands
assuming the default gateway that i need to set on the server is 192.168.1.1 (the router IP)