Taken from a midterm

Our very own fight club!
LaBlueGirl
Suckopithicus chickasaurus
Suckopithicus chickasaurus

Taken from a midterm

Post by LaBlueGirl »

Short Answer: There are 12 questions; answer any 10. Each answer is worth 5 points.

1. One of the problems somebody arguing for the freedom of the will must face is what is referred to as the regress problem. What is this problem and why is it problematic for the free will theorist?

Regress argument is any problem where a statement must be justified. Any justification requires support, b/c there can no 'It is that way just because'.
This means any proposition can be questioned over and over again like Tai asking 'Why?' forever:)

Free will is basically broken down into two parts: Determinism, where everything is decided for us, and compatibility, where we have free will and nothing is pre-determined in our choices. We make a decision but we could have taken another path.

So, the problem with the two is if I was responsible for cooking chicken cordon bleu for breakfast this morning, then I was responsible for buying it yesterday. And if I bought it yesterday, then I was responsible for thinking of chicken the day before that. And if I thought of chicken 2 days ago, then I was responsible for visiting a chicken farm over the weekend. And so forth and so on, until what, I was in utero and my mom ate a chicken one day? lol
Regression is the opposite of progression. Progression moves forward, regression moves backwards.

2. Why does randomness present a problem for the free will theorist?

These are parts of the diff free will theories:

1. The future is necessatated by past events and the laws of nature. The past shapes the future and it also must take into consideration laws of nature. (you can't get older but grow younger, for example).
2. Everything is either true or false. So what happens in the future is because of a true or false action we make now.
3. God.
4. Our behavior and our will is determined by our genetics and biology.
5. We make a truly free decision only when we willed the act (we made the choice then made it come into reality, like I decide to bail someone out of jail so I pay almost 5 G's, it was a free will choice b/c I willed it) BUT we could have done otherwise. (I could have left them there, but I didn't).

Randomness means a lack of purpose, cause and order :)
Can you see why it would cause problems?
All of those free will theories are null and void, b/c nothing is determined if random shit flies at us. Nothing has been determined, there is no God, the laws of nature don't always need to apply:)

BTW: In the cosmological hypothesis of Determinism, ( Determinism is the first 4 answers I gave above), there is no such thing as randomness, only unpredicability:)

3. Why does compatibilism seem to collapse into determinism? Does it? Explain.

Compatibilism is number 5, what I said in question 2.
Hume and William James say Compatibilitism is different than determinism.
This is b/c :
Hume: Free will is for everyone who is not in shackles and chains (jail). The murderer's will to kill overrides the victim's will to live. The past did not determine the future, it was a matter of one will being stronger than the other.
James: Even though the world may be shitty, the actions of humans can make it a better place. Determinism undermines meliorism. (Ameliorate means to make better, like putting a band aid on a bo-bo.).
Meliorism says Humans may act in a way that interferes with nature to make the world better. Like building levees to keep hurricane waters out. Determinism says no, b/c God would still cause the levees to break if He wanted it, or the laws of nature says if there is a flood the waters must be let loose.

4. Explain the following terms: dualism, monism, epiphenomenalism, interactionism.

Dualsim: The mind or spirit is a separate thing from the body.
Monism: Like the Highlander, 'There can be only one' :)
Epiphenomenalism: (that's a LOOONG word lol). Mental events are caused by physical events in your brain. Our behaviour is b/c of muscles, neurons and grey matter. These mental things caused by our brain are dead ends. The feelings, emotions, sensations they cause don't do anything and don't lead to anything.
Interactionism: Mental causes produce material effects. If you want to interact socially, you have a conversation. If the conversation starts to end and you can tell, you change the subject, talk about something else or be more like the person you are talking to (esp if you like the guy lol).

5. Explain and evaluate the Chinese room argument.

If you were to sit in an empty room, and I gave you a Chinese dictionary book, and slid you questions in Chinese under the door, you could use the book to decode the message and write a message in Chinese back. But you would never understand the language, you're just parroting your answers from the dictionary.

So you program a computer to talk to people, as if it were human. But it still would not understand what 'green' was, b/c it only knows what we program it with. We could instruct it that grass is green, so it would understand and answer the question 'What color is grass?', but it doesn't know WTF green really is.

6. Why would qualia not exist if physicalism were true?

Qualia is Latin for 'What kind'.
Qualia is a sensation or feeling. Like, we would say the sun when it sets feels red, or fire feels red. Ice feels blue or white, etc :)

What does it feel like to have pain? You can describe it, but pain feels different to everyone.

Physicalism:
Everything is physical. Nothing exists that isn't physical, or that you can't experience with your 5 senses.

It is a problem with the 2 b/c how in the hell can you touch, taste, feel (with your hands), hear, smell redness? Blueness? Pain? lol

7. Searle argues that the strong AI supporter is a dualist. Our editors claim that Dennett, in the problem of personal identity, investigates the physicalist option. Why would Searle say Dennet is a dualist? Why would our editors say he is a physicalist? Which is he? You decide, and defend.

Blah.

8. How do Sacks and Damasio call into question Locke?s theory of identity?

Ewww...

9. Why and how does the ?bundle theory? call into question the very idea of personal identity?

Bundle theory:
An object is a collection of properties and nothing else. My computer is what it is b/c it is only the things that make up a computer. There is no great computer-form out there (like Aristotle and his forms). It is what it is b/c it has a monitor, hard drive, video card, etc etc.

There is no such thing as 'you'. You have no personal identity. You are the collection of a set of properties. You are blonde curly hair. You are green eyes and a nice smile. You have a heart that weighs such and such ounces, a liver that processes 1 oz of alcohol an hour. And that's all you are.

10. Why and how does Russell?s solution to the appearance/reality distinction call into question Shermer?s account of science?

Shermer is a skepticist. Don't believe in anything unless it can be proved.

And I can't find anything on this, so it's up to you.

11. In arguing against Clifford, James defends not only that believing something without adequate evidence is acceptable, but also that it is sometimes necessary. What is the argument, and how and why does it work, if it does?

Sometimes we want to believe in things that lack evidence.
James says belief is good for us, and he uses FAITH, like to have faith in God. Or to sail in a boat that has a history of sinking: we have faith.
No matter how much I believe in something, it doesn't influence my actions. Just b/c I truly believe I can kill someone and get away with it, doesn't mean I am going to walk outside and do it.

Clifford says to put faith in things that can't be proven are silly. Clifford says if a guy who owns a ship in need of repairs lets it go out to sea b/c he has faith the ship won't sink, is wrong for holding on to that belief. even if the ship didn't sink, he would still be wrong b/c the ship needed repairs. If I hold a belief (the ship won't sink even tho it's fucked up) without evidence it wouldn't sink, the belief has clouded my judgement. He says what we believe influences our actions and we must be held responsible for them.

12. Descartes, Locke and Berkeley all rely on the fact that what we know by way of the senses can be deceptive. Nevertheless, they differ in their solutions to the problem this presents. What are their different solutions, and what are their reasons for them?µ

Descartes: What we see with our eyes is understood by our mind. I hold a candle in my hand and can see the wax. It has a certain shape, color and texture. When I light the candle and it melts, it doesn't look the same but yet it is still wax. Therefore I can't rely on my senses but only on my mind to tell me it is still wax.

Locke: Our sense organs produce reality. Without ears to hear, the world would be silent. Without eyes to see, the world would have no color, shape or form. Without a nose to smell with, the world would have no smell. The world is there, but our sense make it into the world we know.

Both those guys:
(perceiver (you)----ideas (what is a computer?)-----material objects (this is a computer))

Berkely: perceiver-----ideas. Everything we perceive (the computer) exists in our minds. The computer exists, but everything we can perceive about the computer is all in our heads. Only our minds know what a white monitor is. Or a fast hard disk. The monitor and hard disk exist in reality, but whatever we can look, touch, taste, smell, hear about the comp is not what it really is.

Essay: There are 3 questions; answer any 2. Each answer is worth 25 points.

1. The mind/body problem presents us with the possibility of dualism. This possibility is an issue in the other 3 problems we have considered, namely, the free will problem, the problem of personal identity, and epistemology. Why and how is the possibility of dualism an issue in these areas of philosophy?

1. Free will: Dualism is the seperation of mind and body. The mind is not physical therefore it need not obey the laws of nature. Free will says we are free to do what we want. Our mind is what gives us free will. Our mind is not bound to any laws or rules we can know, and so is our free will. It also is not bound to God, nature or biology.

2. Personal Identity: Locke says personal identity is founded on consciousness (the mind) and not in our physical selves. You are you not b/c of your blonde hair and green eyes, but b/c of the non-physical part of you that makes you unique: your mind (not to be confused with brain: brain is physical, mind is not).

3. Epistemology: The theory of knowledge. Externalists say all really-really true knowledge comes from what we know of the outside world, or that which is physical. Something we believe in must be caused by external facts. Internalists say that which we know (knowledge) comes from inside of us, or our minds. Something we believe in must be caused by the internal workings of our minds.

2. Supposing knowledge is justified true belief, on what grounds can we call the existence of knowledge into question? Use at least 3 of our writers on epistemology to answer.

3. What are the implications for free will theory, personal identity theory, philosophy of mind and epistemology if reincarnation is true?

1. Free will: If we get reincarnated, then we really don't heve true free will b/c our actions in every life determine who we will be and what will become of us in our next lives.

2. Personal Identity: You are not uniquely you anymore. The you today reading this behind your computer is the result of an infinate number of Other-you's in lives before this. You have no special unique you-ness identity b/c you were other people/cows/whatever in past lives. You are everything and not something unique.

3. Epistemology: Rationality and the search for true knowledge. And I can't find the rest, as to how it mixes with reincarnation :(
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR

ilnux
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by ilnux »

lol I'm 26 still trying to get my high school diploma but I'll try to answer as much as I can. I think the regress problem is funny. Steven Hawkin said a few days ago that the universe came from nothing and when standing at the south pole asking where south of the south pole is redundant. So asking why your hungry has nothing to do with seeing a chicken farm, cause I know thats not why I eat chicken, if I had to look at an animal and kill it and eat it I would probably be vegitarian else I was starving. It's just plainly because my body tells me I'm hungry because it needs food. Why does it need food? because I will die? yes it is endless but it all goes back to the south pole, the begining of the universe, there is no south of the south pole.

(2)
1.The future is necestated by past events in a humans life, a animal will not change. Nature is not random, just because we can't predict it doesn't mean it's random. We just don't have the capabilities of predicting it yet.
2.Everything isn't true or false. If your are asleep and someone brushes your face and you don't know it is neither true or false because it wasn't perceived in your waking reality.
3.God imho gave us free will, it is up to us to use it and not complain that bad things happen because we all could have a pile of food on our plate and ten dollars in our pockets if we shared by free will.
4.Schizophrenia is neither cause soley by genetics or by externel behaviour it is caused by both. Take the twin theorie for example.
5.I dunno there's infinate possibilities to everything even if you were going to bail someone out you could have got into and accident and died.

LOL there is a god, just because you don't know what he has planned, and what he has planned is after death imho. Nothing is random, there is a law for everything. Just because you don't have the upper hand in everything doesn't mean it is random because you will end up losing. It just means you are fragile and special.

3.Hume is wrong, free will is the same in jail as it is outside. In jail you have the free will to take a life or your own, or to eat or to starve, to change or to not, to seek god or to not, to ask forgiveness or laugh hysterically, free will exists in jail just as it does outside. Freedom is something that doesn't exist in jail in copious quantities.
4.Determinism is wrong. God doesn't spend his time breaking leaves. The leaves break on there own. What make ppl think these things is beyond me. The world is free of God unless you seek him.

(4)Sorry words are to big.

(5)Sure if you want to live like a robot, "love is just a word, it's the connection that means something"

(6)Physicalism is wrong!!! lol um yea I dunno is everything physical? Are we animals, I mean most animals don't eat there babies, so that's not physical either. Kinda makes you wonder what else keeps them from eating there babies.

(10)Does that mean he doesn't believe in language like words like love and hate? Is he that cold?

(11)No offense I don't believe you. If you have true faith in something you would do anything. Take the Taliban for instance. The have true faith in Allah and will die for him. They will do anything for him. The misinterpret the Quran but they will do anything by there faith. You on the other hand won't. Even if you believed you had faith you already know if you could commit it or not, and I believe by what you said theres no way you would as much as you wan't to believe that because in your mind you can will it that in reality it is the same. You control your mind you don't control reality. It is seperate and can only be influenced.

This is about all a drop out will attempt in a day. Time to go smoke a joint and have a beer. j/k.... actually I will have a smoke, this was fun, kinda like fooling around. Good grief I hate post pardum depression :(

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I take it this is from some sort of Sociology/Psychology/Theology mid-term?

Anyways, I"m on dial-up so I'll pick and choose.

1) I don't agree with Detrminism. I don't agree because before consuming any food that I now like I would have had to have known which food I will like or dis-like before consuming it which is logically impossible.

Compatablilty makes more logical sense. Before having tasted chicken I would not know if I would like it or not. After having tasted it, I could then make a decision as to weather I like it or not and then I would eat chicken in the future.

2-4) If everything were determined by genetics and biology, then fraternal and/or identical twins would act exactly the same, have same tastes in clothes, music, etc. This is simply not true. While they may have similar tastes, they are not clones.

Crap. I don't have time. It's late and I need to get home.

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

Stavros wrote: Anyways, I"m on dial-up so I'll pick and choose.
:-). I think that one resumes it all, free will and fatality.