Ubuntu is not Windows

Our very own fight club!
G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by G-Brain »

cats wrote:I never said it had the exact same applications, but it's all made to work for Linux, doesn't matter what distro you are on.
Sure, but it's the packaged applications that define the distribution.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

G-Brain wrote: Sure, but it's the packaged applications that define the distribution.

Indeed, but still, comparing it to Windows just because a few Wizards, is overkill.

Also I came to think about something, do you dislike Ubuntu Server as well?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

G-Brain

Post by G-Brain »

cats wrote:Indeed, but still, comparing it to Windows just because a few Wizards, is overkill.
Agreed.
cats wrote:Also I came to think about something, do you dislike Ubuntu Server as well?
Never used it. Sounds pretty good though, but I don't see any reason to choose it over Debian, Slackware or FreeBSD.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

G-Brain wrote: Never used it. Sounds pretty good though, but I don't see any reason to choose it over Debian, Slackware or FreeBSD.
True. I use it since I thought that since I use Ubuntu Desktop, I might as well try the server version, and Debian didn't work on my server computer so I'm using Ubuntu on that one until I get my thumb out of my ass and try debian again since it's been a while now.

It's very good though =) (And I got a free CD from their site so HEY! ^^)

Ghosted
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Ghosted »

"yeah, I prefer to work as much as possible in a shell" -badbrain
nuff said also I wasn't even aware ubuntu isn't completely open source(which would disgust me on another plane) anyway, my biggest beef with ubuntu is that it auto loads the desktop environment.... and in general it is just targeted towards windows users which begs the question why bother creating ubuntu!??!? It's basically windows linux so why bother going to all this work to create more of the same..... What im trying to say is ubuntu is crap and people would do well to try another linux distro if they are trying to get away from windows or just trying to find something nice!

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

Ghosted wrote:"yeah, I prefer to work as much as possible in a shell" -badbrain
nuff said also I wasn't even aware ubuntu isn't completely open source(which would disgust me on another plane) anyway, my biggest beef with ubuntu is that it auto loads the desktop environment.... and in general it is just targeted towards windows users which begs the question why bother creating ubuntu!??!? It's basically windows linux so why bother going to all this work to create more of the same..... What im trying to say is ubuntu is crap and people would do well to try another linux distro if they are trying to get away from windows or just trying to find something nice!
If you think about the general public.... then you know why they are making Ubuntu more windowlized. Dont think of these OSes as developers tools only because alot of people would not mind spending a few hundred bucks less on a computer with NO OS. Windows is good for gaming because that is where the market is currently, the market will shift once the general public starts to use a different OS, then the big commercial companies are forced to equal out the balance in software availability. take for example MAC, more and more of the big software companies release MAC installers to play WOW, BattleField etc to gain territory on all OSes. In the end everything revolves arround money, we want to spend less, the Software developers want us to spend it on their third party software to let us ejoy the pieces of hardware that we buy.

It is a synergistic relation and that will not change.

as my take on Ubuntu... I personally do not use it but from what I have read is that Ubuntu is a scrap of various Linux distro's upon where Suse is a complete OS build from 1 piece. (but I can not confirm this its what I read)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Ghosted wrote:my biggest beef with ubuntu is that it auto loads the desktop environment....
You can't possibly have tried many distros, if THAT is your biggest beef with Ubuntu =/

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

It all depends upon the person who is using, if you're a gamer, you would say to hell with all, windows is best, if you're a programmer/hacker by which i mean, you are extremely curious, like things your way and do things just because you can, you would use lfs(linux from scratch) and make your own built,

if you are a server administrator, you would chose something like Debian, slackware, freebsd, because of obvious reasons, if you want a linux for some reason(out of many) but with ease of windows, not only because you dont know the stuff, but because, you want to get the work done quickly.

Personally i have used lfs, gentoo, redhat enterprise, fedora, debian, ubuntu, dsl, mandriva, suse, still i dont think one is better than another, each one of it has its own purpose, if i do like one of them, its because of my personal requirements, that Distro is suited to my style of work.

I have more than one machines at home, i hate windows but still i use it because of some things like adobe photoshop(i dont like gimp), i have a personal development server at home, i remember, when my hard drive crashed one day, i had to start real quick because of the deadline, i installed ubuntu just because it would take me less time to configure, and i like point and click more than shell, that doesnt mean i dont know how things work under the hood, i do it because i like visually stimulating desktops and i hate switching my right hand from mouse to keyboard a lot, i like graphics, shell is boring, but still i can use shell anytime, if i use shell i would use a fancy looking shell, not just text mode shell,
thats my preference, and that makes my choice, it doesnt mean all of you are like me.

So these people who create the distros have target audience, Ubuntu's target audience contains cats, but not g-brain, but both have found their own ways and are satisfied, i know cats just wanted to share with us, and wanted our comments, so its all healthy discussion, nothing like OS wars or something.....lol

leechy9
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by leechy9 »

if u dont wanna hear my life story lol just skip to the bottom.

alright people lol im gonna pretty much settle this conversation. im 15 years old, i just recently picked up linux in the last year. i wanted a powerful operating system that i could change and make my own. so i looked around and came across linux. i decided to try it out before wiping my system and turning it pure linux. i came across a distro that was easy to get support on and that had a live CD. the distro was linux mint, it was a debian based OS much like ubuntu, and it ran on a live cd. so i put it in and liked the nice gui so i decided i could get used to linux. so i ran the installer, and was ready to go in a few minutes. as i used linux more and more, i realized that i loved the speed and stability of the OS and was NEVER going back to windows. i messed around on linux wound up getting a problem with a graphics driver, and the gui would not run. so i was stuck with booting into a terminal. so i went over to another computer in my house and looked up how to fix it. after trying several things in the terminal i figured out how much i learned. so when the gui was back up i went online and looked into using terminal seeing as how u could get the computer to do anything u wanted through it. today im fluent in shell script, and am starting programming (perl ftw)

anyways, to make the long story short. linux with its nice gui welcomed me enough to see how great is was, then showed me that there was a whole world besides what u see and click on with a cursor. LINUX MAKES ADVANCED USERS NO MATTER WHAT THEY DISTRO THEIR ON!
rm -rf * /