Lye Rant - Hacking Tut videos

Our very own fight club!
Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Lye Rant - Hacking Tut videos

Post by Lyecdevf »

One of the things that I find oh so annoying is when I watch some youtube videos and the guy is typing instructions on how to use some thing or what ever. I mean what is wrong with typing the instructions before hand so that you can have them ready for your video tutorial. Why do people have to make a video in which all they do is type some thing in the notepad. Can you write down you tutorial on a website, blog,...what ever. Why from all the different media out there you have to make a video that is going to be at least 50MB large as opposed to some file that would be less than 5Kb large.

Usually what I would see is a guy that would open a notepad and start typing in with a really large font some stuff that he did not come up with but found some where on the net. Some times I feel like the only reason behind those videos is to get some ones attention. As if the author was a dry spunge and every view that the video gets is like another drop of water that the spunge is going to absorbe. If at least the presentation was any good but it never is. The typing is horable...the guy has to return many time back to correct his errors and you are thinking...if you have a microphone and you are talking to us can you just tell us what we need to do?

If there was any type of video that would be a bigger waste of space on youtube it has to be one of these. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words but if you need only 200 words to describe some thing why make a video? What are you trying to do? If I went out today and made a video of cars passing me by on the road I bet it would be some how worth more than your video where you just type in some instructions.

In order to find such videos all one needs to do is type, "hacking," in youtube, which is going to get me to the next thing. Why do people make game videos and call them hacking? Sure they used some kind of cheat but is that really hacking? Why is it that every time I do a search of vidoes with the term, "hacking," I get tons of such videos? Is riding a horse also hacking? Because that is what some times shows up too!

It is not like I expect to find some quality videos on hacking on youtube. That is not really what I am looking for. I am in fact looking harder at videos about linux, which is going to get me to the next big thing. When ever I type in, "linux," as a search term on youtube I get loads of videos about Ubuntu. Why is every one using Ubuntu and when I do find a vidoes that is not about Ubuntu why does it have to be in another language?
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hehe, yeah, I hate such videos too....usually they are in a very blurry quality so you can't even read what is typed, which makes the whole video completely pointless.
reminds me of the most hilarious "hacking" video I ever seen on youtube, a skiddie (that of course thought he is the new Neo/Mitnick clone) tried to show RFIs against phpnuke sites.....that would already be hilarious enough, but the part that almost made me rolling on the floor laughing was the fact he used a Linux wallpaper on his Vista system.... :lol:

and Ubuntu....well, it's simply the #1 Linux beginner distro I guess. I never really liked Ubuntu, because instead of using the great Debian repositories and submitting their own work to it by setting up an own unofficial repository (both sides would have their benefits, Debian and Ubuntu) the developers had to go their own way.....and when I read threads like the one where users have problems with unsolvable dependencies I have to shake my head, such errors don't even happen in the testing branch of Debian anymore.....Ubuntu was on a good way to push Linux forward into the "average user" direction, but this way they will spoil it and discourage beginners.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

The first Ubuntu that I tested I thought it was pretty good. It helped me get into the whole linux game. The 7.04 I did not like at all. I hear though 7.10 is coming soon. Maybe...maybe I am going to give it another try. If for no other reason than to write up a review on my blog of it! :D
- Hannibal

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

what is your URL?

Post by DNR »

Give a monkey a camera and it thinks its a director.

I suppose the internet has made it too easy for morons to post themselves.

I remember when the first BBS and irc, and I suppose it had to be more college students (more male than female) and business people. They acted professional and even courteous. Some flames were allowed in good taste. It just felt that the internet had a higher purpose back then

Then America Online came out, they started putting free installation CD's in everything, kid's school supplies, prepackaged with Windows, in magazines, and shit on the grocery checkout lane. The result was every tom, dick and jane had to get online. It opened up chat rooms, lame websites with 0 content, Instant messaging, and trading pictures and other philes. I felt the IQ level dropped so quickly, you felt a chill in the room.

Youtube and myspace are just the same thing, another cheap format for every motherfucker to get online and self-represent. Who cares about these people? Can't they just communicate with their friends some other way than self-depreciating videos of them doing something so moronic?
Do we really need 1,000,000,000 personal webpages of people we will never meet, let alone give a flying fuck to post a shout-out. Do I care that you wasted my time with a 5 minute youtube video when you could have told me in one word? Hell Yea!

I got people in my family trying to get me to go visit their facebook or myspace page - I can't - its cheapness sickens me. It comes out to be like a great Salvador Dali Art butchered and mutilated to represent someone's dim idea of art.

Now, I am not saying that a proper use of video should not be used on the internet - the internet was designed for sharing files and it is one.
If you are going to present something on the internet, you do it with the proper respect. You post a webpage (not a link to a video I have to wait to see what it is) that explains your presentation, you offer the presentation in at least two formats - low bandwidth, and high bandwidth. Real simple - text and thumbnails for low bandwidth, and choose video and flash for high bandwidth. The high/low bandwidth is a measure of time, and people should be able to choose how much time they want to allocate to you. I know pages that force me to deal with high bandwidth items turn me off, so I click them off. Its not the capacity of my internet connection, but how many pages I have opened and loading at the time. Your presentation on the webpage should be polite and to the point.

Now, actually Myspace and facebook and AOL did a pretty good thing. Through their marketing scheme, they have corralled all the morons under certain URLs that I just automatically delete. someone says hey go check out "http://www.myspace.com/fuckup" I just smile and walk away.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Holytoaster4
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Holytoaster4 »

I believe the reason for these is because it is youtube. Most people that want to find out how to do something type it in on youtube. Most people are not computer literate they just go on a few populars sites like myspace and youtube. So then the people that want people to actually find their instructions have to do it on youtube because that is where people are going to look for it.
Holytoaster has become satanictoaster!

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I also hate those videos where people are showing of there linux boxes with compiz fusion. There are like billions of those now on youtube and if not yet than soon there will be billions of them.
- Hannibal

Holytoaster4

Post by Holytoaster4 »

rarely, if ever is there a video where the same thing was not done by someone else on youtube.
Holytoaster has become satanictoaster!

TheKingOfHearts

Post by TheKingOfHearts »

http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity
Ubuntu _is_ the most popular thus it will be the one most featured.
Reason someone would make a video is to provide visual aid.
i absolutely hate when people tell me ubuntu isn't good enough.
everyone hates it because it became so popular not that theres specific reasons. ive searched the net and it seems that theres no specific reasons for it to be less of an distro than pretty much any distro, its actually better you get more support.

even though those videos annoy you, they are made by people expressing their internet freedom just like your rant did just now.
[url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2034/oopsrg8.gif]/sig[/url]

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

TheKingOfHearts wrote:ive searched the net and it seems that theres no specific reasons for it to be less of an distro than pretty much any distro, its actually better you get more support.
The first linux distro that I used was Ubuntu 6.06.1. It was really fast. I could be on the internet 10 seconds after I turned on the computer. I could never of have done that with windows. So that was one of the things that helped me get to like linux. I was impressed but than I installed 7.04 and it was not that fast any more. I also experienced some annoying situations that I can not remember right now because I did not write it down at the time so now I am thiking of using the new 8.10 Ubuntu and use it for lets say 10 days. Than I would write a blog or an article documenting what I liked about it and what I did not like about it.
TheKingOfHearts wrote:even though those videos annoy you, they are made by people expressing their internet freedom just like your rant did just now.
It is not really that they annoy me but I was just epxressing my thoughts on the subject. I was basically asking my self what is the point of making a lets say 70MB large video where you type into your notepad some instructions. Along the way you make gramatical errors, change fonts, erase what you wrote,..etc and all of that just distracts the viewer. I was just thinking would not it be just better to write the whole thing down and post it some where on a site, blog or even youtube since they do offer a section where you describe the video. I was thinking more in terms of what is the rationale behind such videos? Is there some thing that I do not understand, is there some particular reason for such videos, or what is it that people make them. If some one came here and said, "well it is easier for me to watch a video where instructions of some sort were presented as opposed to me having to read that from a site." I would understand that! Maybe it is easier I do not know. I just think it is a stupid idea for a video!
- Hannibal

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

/agree

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

f4Gg0t_43 wrote:/agree
I agree that this was a total waste of space and so will the other admins. You ,maybe unlucky if one of the other admins doesnt impose a small ban. Now after looking at your previous post i can see you have not started on the right foot here but i also might be some hidden intelligence in there somewhere. At least if you agree or disagree and would like to add a comment and participate in the forums then at least expand on your answers and help keep this a place where we can actually read something and help others rather than the odd one line post to boost post count.

I wont be so understanding next time....take heed. No one wants you to leave the forum we are just trying to help you understand how this community is kept. If you would like to be part of it then please join in with good intentions or leave on your own or be made to leave. Its your choice

:roll:

TheKingOfHearts

Post by TheKingOfHearts »

Lyecdevf wrote:
TheKingOfHearts wrote:ive searched the net and it seems that theres no specific reasons for it to be less of an distro than pretty much any distro, its actually better you get more support.
The first linux distro that I used was Ubuntu 6.06.1. It was really fast. I could be on the internet 10 seconds after I turned on the computer. I could never of have done that with windows. So that was one of the things that helped me get to like linux. I was impressed but than I installed 7.04 and it was not that fast any more. I also experienced some annoying situations that I can not remember right now because I did not write it down at the time so now I am thiking of using the new 8.10 Ubuntu and use it for lets say 10 days. Than I would write a blog or an article documenting what I liked about it and what I did not like about it.
TheKingOfHearts wrote:even though those videos annoy you, they are made by people expressing their internet freedom just like your rant did just now.
It is not really that they annoy me but I was just epxressing my thoughts on the subject. I was basically asking my self what is the point of making a lets say 70MB large video where you type into your notepad some instructions. Along the way you make gramatical errors, change fonts, erase what you wrote,..etc and all of that just distracts the viewer. I was just thinking would not it be just better to write the whole thing down and post it some where on a site, blog or even youtube since they do offer a section where you describe the video. I was thinking more in terms of what is the rationale behind such videos? Is there some thing that I do not understand, is there some particular reason for such videos, or what is it that people make them. If some one came here and said, "well it is easier for me to watch a video where instructions of some sort were presented as opposed to me having to read that from a site." I would understand that! Maybe it is easier I do not know. I just think it is a stupid idea for a video!
hey no offense buddy, i just liked your rant so much i had to say something on the disagreement side.

but i do agree that sometimes its better not to make those videos.

unless you know what the fuck you are doing, do not teach others how to do it. ;) i think we all can agree that sometimes people think they know more than they actually do. that includes me and all of us, we are human we make mistakes.

i think your rants are pretty cool, start a blogspot and just post a few a day, its not rare for a blogger to become incredibly popular
if he has valid points worth discussing.
[url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2034/oopsrg8.gif]/sig[/url]