Driving

Our very own fight club!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Driving

Post by DNR »

Some of you might not understand this piece, some of you might not drive a car or might never own a non-fuel injected, carbureted car.

When I was growing up I used to drive a lot. It was the one place in the world where I could be alone. Where I live is a bunch of cool cities all connected by fast freeways or multi lane highways. You can cruise from one end of the strip to the other doing 35- MPH or you could run it in minutes doing 80mph. You can go from Detroit to the boonies of Houghton Lake in a couple hours.
I had a nice big sedan, a two door, but the back seat was deep and could sit three comfy. The front seat was a split bench seat with a fold down armrest - perfect when you want to drive around with your gal sitting next to you. Most of the time I found I rather drive alone, than with passengers- not only are they messy, rude, but they add weight to overall vehicle weight. I could just drive and think by myself. I was an electronic geek, so I built my own sound system. Kenwood, Alpine, Orion XTR. I had the latest radar detectors, Bell or the Passport if stolen. I would drive and listen to the radio/tape cassette through 6x9 speakers, tweeters and two 12" sub woofers. Or I could keep the radio off and just listen to the car. Those that have never drove or been around a 4 barrel carbureted car will not understand - you could enjoy listening to the engine. I could drive all day all night listening to the engine talking. The burble-burble of idling at a stoplight, to the WHOOMP! Burrrmmm! as you go wide-open throttle on the green light. Back in my day, the car was purely mechanical, the air/fuel mixture controlled by pins, jets, springs, and vacuum canisters. It was smaller than a xbox console, you could sit at a workbench and take it apart and reassemble it with just a good memory. If you hacked your car - you tuned it to run fast and smoothly. A bad hack meant you bogged out at the street light race. Ultimate hacks meant bigger exhaust pipes - hooker headers, Hi-rise manifolds, and high volume carburetors. You could remove and adjust your shocks, your brakes, suspension - you had to do your own body repair work! Smart geeks added more gauges to monitor the engine and transmission. I had switches to turn off the brake lights and a electronic keypad security system. How well you hacked your car meant a lot in street reputation. Some took it to a higher level and made money on street racing. To me, my hacked car meant to a girl I had class because the car was clean, and its engine meant to the dogs running on the street that I was a contender to be dealt with.

I would drive all day and all night, just cruising main streets in Michigan or racing the interstate freeway. I could hear my car talk to me 'lets race!'rumble-rumble or sing to me "Vroooom, Room"FasterFaster. The tires chirping in unison, the transmission acting as the conductor - raising the RPM Gauge needle like it was directing the music.The shocks and steering delivering their vital performance to make sure a race starts and ends safely. You can make the fat lady sing at the end, sit at a light and just cook the rear tires in a neverending operatic show with smoke!

Back then it was easy to prevent failure, - check and change all your fluids, perform simple maintenance, and drive smart. Now days you got electrical stuff that can fail, black box parts that they can only remove and replace, not diagnose and fix for once. Besides - the fuel injected machines - they just don't sound like the engines of old days.

This is a picture of a 1980 Monte Carlo, mine was Grey metallic with a black tone on the top half of the car. You would tweak the suspension to bump up your ride height. Tires were 215/75/16, blackwalls. The back side window was tinted dark, as was the back-half of the door windows.

The engine was actually a camaro 305, polished, with cylinder heads meant for a 350 engine. Add performance rockers and camshaft, plus larger diameter exhaust pipes = super v-8. The carburetor was the Rochester Q-jet 4 barrel, tuned by a strip racer. The rumble sounds it made sitting at idle 750rpm, to the air being sucked in by secondaries opening up Whoomp!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

Nice, DNR is into racing :lol:

Im more of a luxury car person, allthough ive been around racing alot, we have alot of underground racing scenes here. My mom was into racing too had a limited edition 96'? mustang cobra hard top / convertable.
She would never let me take it out though :cry: now i have one of these..
same year, model, color, everything.. i have 1000watt amp and 2 12's in the trunk, plus the darkest legal tint i could get, would get some nice chrome rims but that would void my wheel/tire warranty

now i just need a new job to make the payment , or my credit is fucked (well worse then it allready is) :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

the knowing glance

Post by DNR »

I also drove toyotas (carona and tercel), '70 Duster, 3/4 ton vans (with a 350 FI engine) and my parent's BMWs (325 and 535).

I just have a lot of memories of just driving. It seemed like driving was a form of meditation. Sometimes driving was a way to get away from problems, you could leave problems behind in a screaming heavy smoke fashion or just slowly rumble off in to the sunset. I could keep driving until an idea came into my head, or maybe my stomach starts to grumble. I would meet other cool people, they'd be driving too. You would pull up at a light, and knowing glances would be made. The newbies would pulse the gas pedel, you could hear the engine rpm increase from the slight weight of their foot. Newbies use both feet - one on the brake, one on the gas. You didn't always have to race - just that knowing glance was respect enough. Running high octane fuel made it too hot to race in traffic anyways..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Re: the knowing glance

Post by Still_Learning »

DNR wrote:I also drove toyotas (carona and tercel), '70 Duster, 3/4 ton vans (with a 350 FI engine) and my parent's BMWs (325 and 535).

I just have a lot of memories of just driving. It seemed like driving was a form of meditation. Sometimes driving was a way to get away from problems, you could leave problems behind in a screaming heavy smoke fashion or just slowly rumble off in to the sunset. I could keep driving until an idea came into my head, or maybe my stomach starts to grumble. I would meet other cool people, they'd be driving too. You would pull up at a light, and knowing glances would be made. The newbies would pulse the gas pedel, you could hear the engine rpm increase from the slight weight of their foot. Newbies use both feet - one on the brake, one on the gas. You didn't always have to race - just that knowing glance was respect enough. Running high octane fuel made it too hot to race in traffic anyways..

DNR
thats cool some people get a huge adrenalene rush off of racing, ive been in the passanger seat in street races, i went to the same races in FL hulk hogans son got in trouble for crashing and seriously injuring his best friend which was also a Military Vet, my friend has videos we made with his supra at the races. I used to be into the racing scene for my own reasons, not really to race but to watch and all the hot girls that were there and too make money. I'm not a good driver so i try to stay away from driving fast cars, ive totalled 2 cars allready. I prefer the big luxury / safer cars that drive slower , but comfortably. I know my current car is not exactly a luxury car but i can fill the tank on like 20$ and get almost 40mpg lol which is not as important since now the gas suddenly dropped from 4$ a gallon to 2$ a gallon in the last couple months humm.. i wonder why :idea: