Nature vs Nurture

Our very own fight club!
LBG
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Nature vs Nurture

Post by LBG »

This may be possibly inflammatory. Firstly, this is not my intention. I lack input from others on this matter, and I believe that if a person has an opinion or point of view
it should be as well-rounded as possible (with as few commas as possible). Therefore, I would like to hear what people think on this matter.

And we're off:
The whole theme is premised on this: Nature dictates we are who we are due to biology. Genes, hereditary traits, forces beyond our control. The Nurturing side argues this is not so. We are who we are due to our environment. Social stresses, our parents as our first and primary contacts in life.

My question is Which is it? And here is my story.

Without naming any groups of peoples, here in Belgium I have had plastic Coke bottles filled with sand thrown at my head (and my 4 year old child, at that time). I have been pushed and shoved by children and adults. I have had my way blocked most unceremoniously by people of all races, creeds and colors. I have been cursed at by children. My son is harassed daily by children whose parents seem to lack a disciplinary bone in their collective body. Back in the States, I have witnessed a lack of respect for, example, teachers and other authority figures, perpetuated by youths and adults alike.

Some of this I attribute to a difference in European and American societies, European and Eastern societies and even the Universal American society, so subdivided into Caucasian Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, and so on and so forth.

So which is it? Is it a biological instinct which perseveres? Survival of the fittest and all that? Or is it reduced to certain cultures? But that argument gives way when, we look at something under the umbrella American term, we see a greater subdivision. By socio-economic status, color of the skin and what have you. For, if we are all Americans, the difference must come from somewhere else and not culture.

In Europe however, it appears to be more or less restricted to a culture difference. At least, a difference between the Occident and the Orient. Yet even then, the Occident of Europe is vastly different than the Occident of America.

Yet, in one culture it is verboden (forbidden) for a woman to walk in front of a man. So a man will not always give way to me when I walk down the street. Also, it seems Europeans (in general, but I have a limited view, I admit), do not move on the sidewalk unless absolutely critical, I.E. I run them over with my poussette/stroller.

Europeans are more "closed" than Americans. By this, I mean they don't wear their heart on their sleeves, as it were. But why? Is it because Europeans come from an "old country" and Americans are brand-spanking new, full of revolutionary ideas?

Are certain Eastern cultures more prone to violence and abuse? Are they more prone to anger? Yet the same groups in America behave differently, which gives sound argument for Nurture. Yet how can one attribute Nurture to a collective body, such as an entire (or seemingly entire) race of people? A race of people which exist on 2 different continents? The behaviors of the Eastern and African cultures on the Euro and American continent are vastly different. The behaviors of "white" people on both said continents are differ by a large degree.

All races seem to have traits which are, more or less, "attributed" to their race. But why? If you displace a certain race from their homeland, is it not that certain characteristics follow accordingly? I have noticed that African pride seems to follow regardless of location, for example. (I do not say this to be racist or inflame anyone's passions. It is merely an illustrative point).

Without naming names (or cultures) and risking my online-person to extremes in responses, why do you think this is possible or probable?

It's silly, I know, to use this as an example. But it's the least inflammatory question I may pose on this subject:
Why are all Africans inherently proud, regardless of where they live? Second-, third- and fourth-generation Africans in America are just as proud as the Africans-straight-out-of-Africa I meet here. Which seems to suggest it is Nature and not Nurture. But at the same time, Muslims in America (second-, third- or fourth-generation also) seem to be less violent than the ones I meet on the streets here in Belgium, which would suggest a cultural difference, which in turn is based on Nurture.

Man,is any of this clear, even? S'what I get for drinking a bottle of Cointreau and then posting...

But which is it? We are who we are from society, genetics, our environment, or *what*?

(I'll give a hint for my answer: It's a combo of all). Now, I smoke a cig and re-read this. To ensure clarity and political correct-ness, insomuch as I am capable of achieving at this juncture in my night.

And for the record, I use Hardy Heron and I like it. And I still use bash for almost everything, nyah.

Ok. I have plenty more to add and vindicate myself with, but first I'd like some feedback, if possible.
And people, no hate. It's enough to live in our hate-filled world and see it on the news and live it. We don't need that here. If you can't keep shitty comments off this board I trust the admin will do it for you. Be a (wo)man, and keep that to yourself. No one wants ugly.

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

I am a firm believer in Destiny. I believe that every person has an ultimate end place, a slot that they will fit into, so i proscribe to a teleological perspective. The Grand Architect of the Universe has laid down the world before us, and has given us free will. It is through the choices that we make, that determine who we are, and what our lives will grant us. We are RATIONAL actors, not mere spectators in the play of life, we choose our lines, we choose our parts. whimper like a dog, or howl like a wolf, is entirely our choosing.

My own view is this: WHY a person chooses to behave does not matter. Regardless of the social, economic, political, reasons which they endure, is no excuse for certain types of conduct. To prescribe fault and blame on shapeless, amorphous entities such as culture or circumstance, is a baseless and cowardly lie.

I am a law student. It is my solemn desire to take my oath, and act as a prosecutor, so perhaps I am influenced a little too much by my calling.

Do I view that all must be punished? Yes and no. I want ALL to take responsibility for their actions, to pay compensation, and to put right what they have done wrong. I am a firm fan of the Social Contract theory as well, as argued by John Hobbs, and Rosseau. Society, offers a degree of protection, in exchange for our fealty, and compliance. We in turn, must afford that same luxury.

A sex offender who abuses children, tries to argue that he does what he does, because he himself was abused.

In my opinion, I would say that anyone who has endured that level of abuse and pain, would know all too well the devasting effects it has on the mind and body. With that painful knowledge, how can they willingly then inflict that on someone else?

We also have to appreciate that we are not a unified society. We have different groups and factions, all of which have their own values, and beliefs. For some, being racist is a virtue. For others, this is a repellant belief in the extreme.

The bottom line is that right and wrong, is merely only ever based upon the perspective of the necessary number. No more, no less.
To the wicked, I am merely too knowledgeable in their ways.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

first of all, Hi and welcome to suck-o, second nice read!

as for my oppinion, there are multiple influences that drive humans the way they do. each values their own in a certain degree which will result in the actions they take.

Realise that in Europe the religion factor is a high fluctuating number, realise that the ancient ways of the religion are slowly leaking away form society which means that humans tend to take a other course which may result in indirect aggresiveness towards you. Religion always has had a tight grip on society which made us more controllable. I think Technology changed that drasticly which resulted in a situation we have yet to addapt to.

To say it is nature and nurture, I would have to say: Both. our nature is to nurture and nurture is in our nature. How we do this is up to you ;)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Well LBG, you really know how to make an entrance. I for one and know a few others will appreciate the depth and contribution to the post. While before i start may i say it was these type of posts that enticed me to the site from the start and its a pleasure to be able to read them again. I too have now had a few to drink tonight as my son is here with his partner for the weekend, plus the 15 or so spliffs i have also smoked and am now attempting to reply to quite an intelligent post so lets just crack on :XD

Nature and Nurture. Aren't these both two of the same! Isn't life and attitude more a matter of circumstance. Can't we all be proud? There is also a fine line between pride and arrogance. Becoming the minority in another country and seeing other cultures you see how each and every nation is different. Right down from the bodily statures, the walking, the habits, and these are things we can just notice at a glance. It also depends on the area itself. You listen to the news and the cities are all glorified for there glitz and glitter of night life and how each become the capital of culture or sport or some other bull shit title they can think of. Some of us are not given a chance from the word go but its up to us all not to prove it to them that we are all worth something but to ourselves.

Some people use history as a reason for there own miss justices in the world. Truth be, most have probably known an injustice in the world but feel they to are just a number, a statistic in society, a reason to feel mistreated and to seek hate on others.

Hate is another contributing factor. Hate breeds hate. Its the minority which is usually the intelligent that can actually thing beyond this. We may still look at society and think what a mess its in but look back a 400 years up the present, slavery has almost been ridden from the world. Yes we all know it still goes on but things have improved and there will always be forces opposing and fighting against this as they will taking the next mans place to earn his money when the master has gone.

As we can see even down to some of our parents and their parents before them. We all know, if not remember their thoughts and views of lets say 'foreigners' Its only really now the generation that we are at that things have really progressed. There will always be ignorant people want to push you, poke you, manipulate you, especially if you are the minority.

When i went traveling i stayed in Bali for a month and was made really welcomed into the community. I really saw that times havent really changed that much and no wonder the British were hated so much from certain countries just like other countries must also feel and really its still happening today just now its more pollitical as money talks and causes a lot less stir than invading a country, although American And Great Britain have already shown that this is not even out of th e question if they muck up some bullshit story of weapons of mass destruction when really we all know as the truth comes out in the end, it was over OIL!!! Well In Bali i noticed that what is worse than all the sins i ever committed in the world, was that children had to work just to pay for a limited education. The best way to prevent a country ever getting out of this situation is to cut off its education. With no education it limits things down to one thing and one thing only.....money!

The one thing these people do keep is their traditions. As we find it hard to understand why one culture the woman always walks behind the man they also find it hard to comprehend it the other way round. To me this is not something i would judge them for or would lie them to judge me for but would like them to understand that i respect there views and hope they can give me the same courtesy.

Guess what i am saying is our backgrounds, up bringing, cultures and other contributing factors are always going to affect opposing groups. There are only a few that manage to get out of the slums, no-matter how intelligent you are. As it is, im quite proud of where i am from but i can say this. It's getting worse and there is a lot more to come. Now we have another generation of people coming of age. The time of the neglected due to parents with drug dependencies. The recession with people loosing their jobs will cause more problems. As it is now the youth have nothing to do and now they will have the role models of parents that are sat at home with no money. People losing there homes due to repossession orders might make the problems a lot worse and what organizations have worked for so long to achieve can soon be turned back like a time bomb ready to explode.

London here is probably the most multi-cultural place in the UK. Friendly it isn't, more like a rat race where each area is segregated to race unless you reach a certain pay packet and can buy yourself out of there. This is the same as most places but now they have opened the doors to other countries into the E.U this puts a bigger strain on resources, jobs, health authorities and is putting the whole economy under jeopardy. It would have been better to put billions into these countries and built up there own economy than to drain others.

I see that most of the world lives in poverty. If you worry about money and you just get by, thats still poverty. We are all now slaves to technology. but thats for another day.

Im not even going to proof read this as im probably that wrecked and gone off topic that if you find its suddenly gone, then i could have done at a later date and thought ....wtf!!!

Anyway its nearly 5am so i bid you all good night!

Rant complete

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

I am my own destiny

Post by DNR »

The whole theme is premised on this: Nature dictates we are who we are due to biology. Genes, hereditary traits, forces beyond our control. The Nurturing side argues this is not so. We are who we are due to our environment. Social stresses, our parents as our first and primary contacts in life.
I believe through my life experiences that it is a combination of Nature(what you are born with) and Nurturing(environment and social). I have also mentioned Circumstances. Circumstance is a variable that can have effect on people, regardless of their upbringing, education, even support systems of family and community.

Take a rich, well-educated person - how will he act when presented with a opportunity, or circumstance of having sex with a person, illegal drugs, stealing, or hurting/helping someone? Will it be his biology that makes him do the right thing or the wrong thing? Will it be his parent's modeling, his social norms, or peer pressure that will make him do the right/wrong thing? Will he do something because he thinks of doing it?

When I say Think, I mean Free_Will. Take another person, he is lacking in education, he lives in a bad neighborhood - but yet he decides to go against nature, against nurture - to choose to do something other than expected. A killer can one day THINK and decide not to kill anymore. A racist can make the choice not to be a racist anymore. A victim can decide NOT to be a victim.

And there is no answer to why people can do this, despite their genes, despite thier parents, despite thier education level - they can just make the free-will decsion to do the right thing, or the wrong thing.

Cops have this saying:
"Anyone, at Anytime, is capable of Anything"

"Why" is never seriously considered, because most will not make sense or be reasonable. Why only applies in law enforcement as to motive, or proving Intent. There is never a good why..

---

Destiny is not a constant, anything you do can throw you off the path as well as keep you on the path. I believe God has a purpose for all of us, but it is not in the conventional sense as we think "I am going to be a lawyer".

---
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

LBG
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by LBG »

computathug wrote:Well LBG, you really know how to make an entrance. I for one and know a few others will appreciate the depth and contribution to the post. While before i start may i say it was these type of posts that enticed me to the site from the start and its a pleasure to be able to read them again. I too have now had a few to drink tonight as my son is here with his partner for the weekend, plus the 15 or so spliffs i have also smoked and am now attempting to reply to quite an intelligent post so lets just crack on :XD

**snipped for brevity, sry**

Rant complete
WOW, I'll have to re-read this one a few times....
Jeez, talk about dropping logic bombs on people lol.

O/T:
For the reason of your name, I had you pegged as a young'un... I do apologize for this.
Pass the Dutchie on the left-hand side....PLEASE!!!

LBG

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

LBG wrote: Pass the Dutchie on the left-hand side....PLEASE!!!

LBG
Should I feel offended by this or complimented? (N3==Dutch)

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

*off topic

Pass the dutchie was a song in the early 80's by a band called musical youth N3rd. And dutchie was meant in a different concept :XD. DNR ya better hurry up, this puff puff pass just became a puff pass and is going down mighty fast!!!

By the way LBG, i am probably not as old as you now think i am either, I started rather young :D

Oh and yeah and this time a warmer welcome back, if DNR says ya passed the test last night thats good enough for me :D
Last edited by computathug on 25 Jan 2009, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

:roll:
lost in translation N3..

Just hit it and pass it.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

id hit it

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Nature vs. Nurture

Post by lilrofl »

So I was in Doha the other day (it's a city in the Pursian Gulf) and I went to the mall like any tourist would do. I went into a toy store to find a little something for my munchkin and saw these bears, like teddy bears but with AK-47s lol... it was wild... anyhow I thought back to this post and thought, maybe it's both.

Nature, being that which you are, is decided almost for you. Hereditary traits, rank and position in a social structure achieved through the work, or lack thereof, of the people who came before you. That work done, or not done shapes how they react to life, and how they impress upon you their values. So nature in a way almost defines nurture I would think.

Without going into too many details, I have seen such hate in the world it sickens... I find myself wondering if there is any hope to be had, or any worth having. How one person can hate another based on nothing more then color, creed, religion... don't get me wrong I hate, but not for such all encompassing reasons. I hate ignorance, is that nature? Nurture? I'm not sure. Maybe it's not hate at all, it's disgust, because it's ignorance that breeds the aforementioned hate of the masses.

It's not universal is the key I think, I went to Baghdad once and everyone was so nice, really awesome to be around, but you go 80 miles north to Samarrah and... well, I had never been flipped off by a toddler before lol. I watched this little girl wave to us, her father came out and slapped her hand then dragged her into the house... that is definitely an example of hate from nurture, not from nature... but you see, if the father had grown up in Baghdad, then he would have Nurtured his daughter differently, so the nature would have changed based on location.

Dizzying...

I love that Firefox has spell check hehe.

Anyhow, I am SO tiered, and I realize there is a chance that this makes no sense... just wanted to tell you about the bears with AK's mostly, maybe after some sleep I'll modify, but I don't think I'll recant.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

leave your post, its good.

I guess of all the emotions or feelings - wheather spawned by nature or nurture - Hate is the ugliest, and appears to be common.
I got hooked on hate yesterday. One of the patients is a prisoner, a repeat child molester, children under thirteen. Tax payer dollars at work, its going to cost us at least $30,000 to treat this pedo. The guy, like most prisoners we treat, was all friendly, and joking. I went and looked him up on the Offender Tracking Information System, and saw his ugly record. The nurses already got word by using my trick (I showed them!), the one that had to work with him was a mother.
The guy had to have cardiac catherization, a stent put in, and that requires him to get special care as we puncture a artery in the groin. Normally I would bend my mind around it and just focus on my job. But I despised this guy. The nurses would do their game, like waiting a while before delivering pain meds, make him miss dinnertime, and the painful, curt attitudes they can use. When we pulled him over to his bed, oops - the bed was lower than the gurney, bump, bump, ah bet that hurt your back. When the guy would try to joke, I would just deadpan him and look him right in the eye. If he could see what mayhem I had going on in my mind, he saw it.

I really don't like to hate. Its a negative emotion, its a drag. It can harm the body by stress.
Hate is also an easy emotion, any fool can puff up and spit hate. It takes a stronger man, a tempered gentleman to put that aside and do the right thing. I always try to break up mob mentality when it starts to gear toward a hatefest - all I have to do is use logic over emotion.

I hate ignorance the most, it seems to hurt the most people, and it breeds the stupid shit people think, like hate.

DNR
-

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Hey lilrofl, I was in Doha while i was traveling earlier in the year. Being from the UK you could feel peoples eyes on you all the time. Always having to be aware as i was in a strange Muslim country and am not wanted there. Glad i was only there for the day and spent most of the time in the airport. I also traveled into Java, which was another prominent Muslim country although I didn't feel the same tension you could still see the hatred in some people's eyes. Now I am using the word Muslim here loosely as just to explain the situ i was in. I met people from all different religions while i was away and met people who you could clearly see had different views whether it was natured or nurtured on both sides of the fence. Most of the people i met were friendly and welcomed me into their homes and i even joined in with cultural festivities.

There is good and bad in every culture but hate is one of the biggest emotions which can take over your life if you let it and if this hate is bread from a young age then it soon becomes an uncontrollable emotion that breeds from generation to generation depending on how much you have been brain-washed.

I see hate from all angles. I was brought up to hate. I forced myself to hate and i brought misery upon others. It took me till i was in my mid 20's to realize what damage this hate was causing me. I try not to hate any more, its an emotion i try to control just like another emotion i once had a problem with..... jealousy. All these things we make worse ourself with our own personal head games. both these emotions were tied to one at one time and at least i now see my own errors and am trying to combat them

We are all in control of our own destiny and our own minds.... its knowing it!!

DNR i would love to comment but feel it in my own interest to keep some things off the boards but i do hear and i do agree with every little bit of pain / agro you could have caused. Lets just say sometimes we did the screws a favor when we were in prison and it worked both ways :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I know its going off topic, but a point raised on Hate by thuggy -
We are all in control of our own destiny and our own minds.... its knowing it!!
Yes if you are aware of what is controlling your thoughts and actions, you can keep shit like hate, greed, envy, and lust from your behavior.

Hate is also a nurture by my government. Even with friendly countries, we are programmed to see only our differences via the media. I think it is an intentional act to keep us separated. Instead of sharing what we do have alike, it always has to be about the strange habits or foods, the way we talk, and how we think. I don't buy into it - If I want to feel superior - its not going to be because the government brainwashed me in to thinking I was better, it will be because of my own works.

I love the differences we have, I embrace it. It rocks the foundation of lies the governments, media, and mob masses have built.

DNR
-